Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-May-2005, 20:36
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
silly insurance question

i know this should be in the insurance section but i need a quick answer and im hoping you guys can help

my mate has won a hm plant race rep cbr6rr which he is having difficutly in insuring. he is being charged the extra on the premium for the race scheme but has been told in the event of an off that they will only repair his bike with standard panels and not matching race work, this is obviously a big concern and gripe as why pay the extra when the bike snot fully covered.. hes tried a few companies and its all a simialir story. what do you guys with the new fila reps/monstermob reps do for your insurance or are you unsure of how you'd be covered in the event of a a nasty off.hes getting really niggly about it and on about selling the cbr and sticking with his tatty old r6, only problem isneeds to get it sorted quick as were off to france on thursday for the gp

any help and recommended companies welcome. cheers
Old 06-May-2005, 20:51
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
That's standard policy I think - to replace with standard parts. I doubt you'll get any other offer. In the event of an accident you could ask for the cash instead and buy used panels to then spray up??
Old 06-May-2005, 21:10
Big Twin

Mood: High as a kite!
I think most companies replace parts with standard these days.Sell the CBR to a dealer or ask about a straight swap
Old 06-May-2005, 21:37
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
ive told him to flog both and buy a 916 but he hasnt got the time as were off to le mans on thursday, i didnt realise it would be such a issue as they increased your policy against the race rep bodywork

i doubt i'll get a race rep now if thats the case as i wont pay extra for insurance and extra afterwards to get it into the condition it was in before
Old 06-May-2005, 21:41
Big Twin

I phoned my broker (Carole Nash) when I had put the Termis on the 749. They charged me extra because of the performance hike. Fair enough. I also came clean about other mods like bits of carbon bodywork etc and they said "if it does not affect the performance then we do not need to know about it". I can't see what differnece a paintjob should make ... especially as it probably makes the bike more "visible" to metal box pilots. They did say that they would only replace with original parts.

[Edited on 6-5-2005 by HW]
Old 06-May-2005, 23:30
Mille

Mood: FIVE!!!!Guess We'll Keep It
When i had my Marlboro rep R6,Bennets didn't charge me extra,they just put the bike down as multicoloured on the policy.
Can't remember who i'm with at the moment on the 749,but when i put the Termi Asymetrical system on this and 50mm Termis on my 748r,they didn't charge extra,just said that they would only replace broken/smashed/crashed items with standard parts!
Old 07-May-2005, 01:46
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Hi,

I'm with Zenith through a small broker. They have agreed in writing that if they repair my bike following a claim they will repair it with all carbon bodywork etc etc as long as the cost is less than standard Ducati items. If the bike is a total insurance loss then they will pay out for a standard bike .... no change to my premium at all.

I thought that was a good deal.
Old 08-May-2005, 23:01
Ducati Meccanica

its not a bad deal but is the carbon cheaper or dearer than the standard

at leats they didnt hike up the price for you on your quote
Old 08-May-2005, 23:09
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
The big bits ie: the fairing, larger tank and seat unit are all QB carbon items which would work out slightly cheaper than buying standard Ducati plasitc bodywork and steel tank. So if the bike was repaired the insurance would pay out for QB items if I wanted.