Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Aug-2005, 23:55
Mille

Proper looking motorcycle! Anything Ducati sell now and in the future is owed to the 851/888 series IMO. I bought mine over and above a new 916. Great decision. Cost me a lot more though!! It's all Falappas fault!
Will post some of mine too when I get to grips with modern digital technology.
Old 13-Aug-2005, 00:03
Ducati Meccanica

when the bikes up and running gary,(and it will be ready for TA5 somehow) we'll have to meet up mate, a mini sps meet so to speak.

robin
Old 13-Aug-2005, 00:13
Mille

I look forward to that!
Once mine has had a full service it'll be out scaring children and small dogs again
Old 13-Aug-2005, 00:18
Ducati Meccanica

yep, the pipes are way loader than anything I've had before.
totally awsome sound, sets of all the locals car alarms
Old 13-Aug-2005, 00:23
Mille

Can't sneak around with one of these!
By the time you have finished sorting yours out there will be nothing you don't know about them
Old 13-Aug-2005, 00:25
Ducati Meccanica

cheers gary, I'm off to get some shut eye now, catch you later mate.

robin
Old 13-Aug-2005, 00:27
Mille

That's a good idea. Up early too, take care.
Gary.
Old 02-Sep-2005, 23:32

Mood: Like a rolling stone......
Hello Gents,

I've managed to circumvent my DSC log-on gremlins (kudos to Steve Robins and Eamonn (?)

And while going through the 851/888 threads, it seems some of you want more specific info on my 888 SPC.

Many, if not all of you already know the intimate relationship between the SPO and the SP5, I'll tell you what changes I made to my 1993 SPO to either replicate or exceed the SP5 specifications to make that 888 should have been as a last hurrah.

My goal was to use Ducati factory parts when ever and where ever possible to make my SPC, lighter at 180 kilos (397 lbs) vs SP5 200 kilos (445 lbs). The main areas of weigh reduction were the Titanium exhaust, CF gastank and the CF Saxon wheels. This got me within a hairs breath of my sub-181 kilo (400 lb.) goal, so it was down to tossing the stock battery and titanium axles and bolts where ever I could manage. For a street machine of this era with full lights, electric start and fully road ready is quite an achievment.

Bruce Myers of BMC Motorsports builds the best Duck motors in N.A. so he got the nod and he pulled 125 rwhp (vs 118 rwhp) out of 888cc's. I could have made life much easier with a full toot 955, but I wanted to play fair with my head to head 888 challange........and it's sweeter to beat the factory at their own game anyway.

I went all the way with the complete wiring harness change-out, SP5 4 injectors, flowed heads with larger valves, "G" inlet and exhaust cams for that period "punch" that makes 7k rpm a full grin.

........and better suspension (Ohlins WSB forks vs SP5 Showa forks, which when opened are the very same forks at the SPO/Strada 888's). It only took me 3 years to find a set of original period Ohlins 9050's, but it was worth it after 888 racer John Hackett (Ducati Coverntry UK) got finished with them. John and I are the same weight and with his years of Ohlins and suspension experience, I got back a set of re-worked forks that feel like butter and make bumps completely disappear.

The SPC has a carbon fiber gas tank vs the steel unit of the SP5, Carbon fiber/magnesium wheels vs aluminum units of the SP5, lighter SharkSkinz body panels. and a extremely rare titanium spaghetti exhaust system (1 of 5 sets produced by Rousch Racing) with the hi-swept Conti racing reverse cone black chrome mufflers are just a few tasty bits this motorcycle enjoys.

The SP5/748 gearbox has been installed along with replacement Ducati ST4S cases (much stronger and slightly heavier than Corsa cases) to ensure that the bottom end of this engine never fear the cracked case syndrome or crank bearing/support failure known in the SPS/SP5 motor and other high horsepower Ducati engines of the era.

Brakes are 1993 WSB Brembo GP2 billet calipers with Brembo GP billet radial clutch and billet brake master cylinder units. A custom designed swingarm by JMC (to accommodate the larger rear header pipe) is what you see at the rear. I joined with JMC to finalize the r&d on this swingarm to allow the larger header to pass through the swingarm and the fender mounting which was all wrong.

Why yellow, you ask, when the SPO is so glorious in red ?? Most times when this machine is brought out to enjoy, I am usually in a sea of red Ducati motorcycles. So my dilemma was how to make the SPC a bit different. I knew that I was going with CF parts wherever possible and I see no sense in having two complete sets of body work both red. For me, and in many Italian racing circles there are only 2 colours for a Ducati: Red or Yellow. I struggled for weeks to find the right shade to use. Trust me, photos don't do this yellow justice. Try and imagine a fresh yellow tulip in bright sunlight. Then sprinkle in the tiniest speckles (which can only be seen from 6 inches or closer in the bright sunlight) into the clear coat. I designed all the graphics and paint/body work on this motorcycle.

And while all of my panels and gas tank were heavily damaged in the '97 crash, in '98, I managed to acquired a complete set SPO of original SPO body panels, seat, fender and gas tank from a racer that was going to race his SPO and he needed fundage. Back then it seemed like a reasonable price at $1400 usd.. Today, it's unobtainium as original body panels for the SPO/SP5 are no longer available from Ducati.

In summary, this motorcycle not only represents one person's vision of what the final version of the incredible 888 series should have been, but it also represents the thousands of hours of labor, many days missed riding and over 5 years of locating the dwindling supply of parts and 3 years to complete. The total financial outlay is a little over $50K usd not counting man hours.

Cheers mates.............Mike
Old 02-Sep-2005, 23:34

Sorry.......here's probably what you really want to see.......

http://www.mad-ducati.com/images/Mik...i/DSCN2705.JPG

http://www.mad-ducati.com/images/Mik...i/DSCN2706.JPG
Old 02-Sep-2005, 23:54

And yes.........I'm looking for a set of these Brembo GP2 calipers.

http://www.mad-ducati.com/images/Mik...i/DSCN2730.jpg

Anyone have any ideas ??? Happy to contribute to your 851/888 parts fund if you'd like.