Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Nov-2003, 15:09

Mood: Variable
Questions Questions

I've just bought a rather tired'n'tatty 748 Bip & as I'm pulling it to bits various questions spring to mind.
1. How did the holes in the clutch pressure plate where the springs live wear through at the bottom corners ?Daylight is visible ! Don't remember my Paso doing this. Rest of the clutch is pretty shot though so I shouldn't be surprised.
2. Is the steering damper rod supposed to foul the tank on full lock or am I just lucky ?
3. Are there alternative bars available to ease the riding position somewhat for my ageing body.
4. Are there alternatives to those little fairing bolts which mostly seem to be stripped on mine.
5. I'm sure I'll think of something else to ask when I venture into the engine!

Robbie
Old 22-Nov-2003, 15:44
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Welcome to the asylum, Robbie. I'll take a crack at answering you questions.

1. Maybe the bike was lowsided and damaged the pressure plates, which is very common in lowside crashes.
2. No. It maybe that the rose joint of the damper is in the wrong location. There are two mounting holes on the frame for when you change the steering head angle. You can tell by whether the steering lock works or not. If it works than the head angle is on the 24.5 degree position and you need to use the rear most hole for mounting the rose joint. If the steering lock doesn't work, the head angle is in the steeper 23.5 degree position and you need to use the forward mounting hole. Some people prefer the steeper head angle because it makes the bike steer slightly quicker, although raising the rear ride height does almost as much.
3. There are several manufacturer who offer adjustable bars, such as Gilles, Harris, Helibars, Cyclecat, etc. I'd ride the bike for a while as many people get used to stock bars. Often when you raise the bars, then the fluid reservoirs foul the fairing on full lock, etc.
4. Yeah, just use ordinary button head screws.
5. Whenever you're ready...
Old 24-Nov-2003, 12:36
888 at Last !!!

4. the little gold fairing screws are torx screws. A little torx allen key is included in the tool kit. No hex allen key will fit, unless someone has decided to try and fit one and hence knackered them.
Old 24-Nov-2003, 15:41
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
The pressure plate is cast from nothing more than chocolate spread.... and the mould has been used way past it's sell by date...

Fairly common in all honestly.
Old 24-Nov-2003, 23:15

Thanks chaps.
I'd twigged they were Torx fasteners but obviously a previous owner didn't. I had to drill some of the fairing ones out.
As for the pressure plate I'll just add it to the pile of knackered stuff.
Tonight I drained & took the tank to bits before spraying. Found an abandoned hose clip & screw rattling about in the bottom. Hey it's generating spares for me !

Robbie
Old 25-Nov-2003, 07:11
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Robbie,
There is a full clutch on Ebay, went up last night, at £25 at the mo, worth a look.

Chris.
Old 12-Mar-2004, 22:26

Mood: JOYOUS
HELIBARS

I have a pair of Helibars that I would be happy to sell as my 996 has now gone.
Old 12-Mar-2004, 23:17
500SD

Mood: head down
the clutch pressure plate is ok my new 999s had the same holes when it was new!!!!!!!
Old 13-Mar-2004, 17:53
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Robbie

The preasure plate on my 998s is the same as you describe yours......its just crappy wop workmanship. Don`t worry about it.
Old 18-Mar-2004, 21:35

U2U Martin