Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 19-Jan-2006, 15:06
Mille

In or out???

Hi all

Some of you may know me from my 2005 Desmo Due "campaign" on my lovelly 600ss #99...and some of you "newbies" out there may not...but I just wanted to let you all know that I am, only just, bouncing back to full fitness from my injuries sustained at the last round of the 2005 season at Cadwell Park.

Last Friday I was admitted for the second time to St.Peters Hospital, Chertsey, under the care of the Great British NHS in order to have the hook and plate they had so carefully applied to my left clavacle (collar-bone to you and me) finally removed after a fairly agonizing three months....and boy, do I feel better for it!

Now, that means I have finally got to grow up and tackle some of the thorny issues that I have managed to push onto the back-burner whilst recuperating over the winter lay-off.....the most pressing being simply to decide if I can be arsed to put myself through all that pain, suffering and hardship once again, and TAKE PART IN DD FOR 2006???

Arguments against;

1) Its expensive
2) It is nerve-wracking
3) It can be very painful if you fall off.
4) Its even more expensive if you fall off!!!
5) It is very time consuming
6) It is "all consuming"
7) The missus doesn't want me to do it....aaaahhhh!!!

Arguments for;

1) errrr? FUN?...No, not exactly....exciting...YYEEAAaaa
2) It is definitely a cool thing to do
3) 1/2 of me really wants to.

The thing that makes me veer towards going for it is that I competed on a big-bore 600ss last season....and I know the 620-boys must be sick-and-tired of hearing it...but those 600 / 674cc bikes were just SOOOooo out-classed by the 620s last year that the opportunity to race on a much more level playing field is very, very appealling. I didn't do badly on my little ss (indeed, bagging Domski's Brands Hatch Indy 674cc "unoficial" DD lap-record at the Brands round) finishing 13th overall whilst completely missing the last, full, Cadwell round....I'd quite like to put the record straight, get the bike straightened, buy a new set of tyres (only ONE set required per season, folks) and GET OUT THERE

If I ask you lot I KNOW what you'll say...but I'll ask it anyway....what should I do?

Andy #99

Old 19-Jan-2006, 15:09
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
I usually say " if in doubt, dont"

but Andy - this time I'd say: go for it!!!
Old 19-Jan-2006, 15:13
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
as you say, need you ask?

its your call, but would be great to see you in the paddock again.

you could always do the first meeting and see how you feel. im sure someone would take your ride if you dont want it.

i think i know what your decsion will be though.
Old 19-Jan-2006, 15:14
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Race you clown!

As if it needed to be said ... How are you going to swing this past the missus though - that's the entertaining bit.

Can you let us know when you're going to do it? Maybe we could all come around and have a bbq or something while you ask her so we get to watch

Or maybe not ....

Old 19-Jan-2006, 15:16
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

You only have one life...

...and it's fecking short!!!

See you at Brands fella
Old 19-Jan-2006, 15:19
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Andy,

I had similar thoughts over the winter but felt I owed it to myself to do a 2nd season, but this time without being handicapped by the wrong choice of bike.
At least when I get my ar8e kicked it will be down to other people being better than me and not the bike.......
(apart from the tyres, suspension,gearing, brakes, paintjob....)

So see you at Round 1!

Paul
Old 19-Jan-2006, 15:20
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy#99

the most pressing being simply to decide if I can be arsed to put myself through all that pain, suffering and hardship once again, in having to read Domski's laughable, sometimes apallingly bad taste and also self depreciating posts?

Old 19-Jan-2006, 15:34
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by AK and CK
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy#99

the most pressing being simply to decide if I can be arsed to put myself through all that pain, suffering and hardship once again, in having to read Domski's laughable, sometimes apallingly bad taste and also self depreciating posts?

Oh the wit :P
Old 19-Jan-2006, 15:50
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
If you can truthfully say nothing else floats ya boat for the cash, time effort and heartache, then racing it is.

Others on here who are well into being out on the grid are hardly gonna say get yer kicks elsewhere are they?

Was into spending big time both cash and time wise on four wheels but I did get to the point where I was aware that had become something I just did 'cos I hadn't really seriously weighed up the alternatives.

Some might see the alternatives as poor substitute, but it's your call.

Ray.

[Edited on 19-1-2006 by Ray]
Old 19-Jan-2006, 16:01
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
Give it another go, but if you're out on track and still thinking about whether it's the right thing or not rather than getting the huge buzz only racing gives then maybe think again.

Good luck.