Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Jan-2005, 15:34
Mille

Mood: One day I'll be allowed out to play......
Best place to buy Chain& Sprockets - 916

All,

Wanted to replace the C&S, and thought i would ask here before wading into an all-night session of internet trawling, looking for the best price.

Have the option of a DID 525 x-ring gold chain & sprockets from Fleabay for £109 + 9.95 del.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7920673872&ssPage Name=STRK:MEWA:IT

Does this seem okay, it's been about 8 years since I last bought one, and was quoted £187 from the stealer (sorry, dealer)

Already have the rivetter/breaker so doing it myself....

Over to you lot - recommendations please

Also if I wanted to lower the gearing a little (not too much) what am I looking for??

Cheers

Jason

[Edited on 18-1-2005 by hooley]
Old 18-Jan-2005, 17:14
Big Twin

The easy answer to this is to do a search on this board. It has been mentioned hundreds of times and the same answers nearly always apply.

For gearing, most people find dropping one tooth off the front (to a 14T) to be be a good starting point. If you feel you need yet more acceleration then add a couple at a time to the back also.

As for chains...well there has been a fair bit said about DID and their reliabilty over the past couple of years...you pay you money blah blah blah. Again this is covered if you do a search.

A lot of people now are using the Tsubaki range, they come in a Heavy duty X ring type in gold, and look like they will pull a tanker. Mike Davies from robsom racing and nelly from conerspeed both stock them i believe. I know Mike also does good deals (and DSC discount) on renthal sets also.

And personally, I would not change to a 520 over the standard 525.

Finally don't forget that if you change the chain/sprocket configuration in any way you will need to also re adjust the ride height as it is directly linked to any chain adjustments, so if you are happy with the way the bike handles now, make a note of the ride height before you do any changes.

[Edited on 18-1-2005 by Harv748]
Old 18-Jan-2005, 19:31
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
http://www.talon-eng.co.uk/ try these good stuff.
Old 18-Jan-2005, 21:48
Mille

Mood: One day I'll be allowed out to play......
Does this look better than a DID???

Regina Z Ring Chain And Sprocket Kit For Ducati 916 Corsa 1994-1998Was £252.70Now £131.18

Cheers
Jas
Old 19-Jan-2005, 09:44
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
this maybe of help regarding grearing:
http://ducatisportingclub.com/contro...d.php?tid=6030
Shazaam has posted some pretty detailed posts on the subject of chains, sprockets and gearing.
Bought my chain Tsubaki chain and 14T front sprocket from B&C express, really good service and the chain looks great , no trouble with it, bullet proof too...apparently, looks it.

Agree that chainging the original gearing really does make a substantial difference to acceleration. Went for 15 40 just now may well go 14 on the front to see what difference it makes.
Old 22-Jan-2005, 01:41
Mille

Mood: yes mistress
Talon

I've just had my 748 fitted with a talon rear carrier top of the range gold chain, and the gearing changed to 42 on the rear. All this was done by Louigi for £220 inc fitting.