Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 06-Dec-2005, 09:59
Ducati Corse

The Monster almost failed for not having a rear reflector and also the brake light blub was in upside down! My bike passed easily, he just commented on a worn bottom shock bush. I'd put the standard cans back on just in case, the guy actually called his mate in and they both stood there listening to it!! Wish i'd left the others on!
Old 06-Dec-2005, 10:08
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
My 748 failed on the rear brake as it wasn't strong enough. I thought it might just need bleeding but when I looked the mounting plate had cracked so the whole master-cylinder was moving when the pedal was pushed down!

Shows how much I use the bike and the back brake
Old 06-Dec-2005, 10:12
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I usually do a check of all the bulbs before I go, and it's usually a brake light or that damn number plate bulb that goes! I had the rear brake light switch fail as well - I think this is quite common as they face "into the wind" as it were and get all the crap blasted down into them and gunk them up - worth a squirt of WD40 in there every so often.

At least it'll never fail on the rear wheel being out of alignment...
Old 06-Dec-2005, 10:52
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by antonye
I usually do a check of all the bulbs before I go, and it's usually a brake light or that damn number plate bulb that goes! I had the rear brake light switch fail as well - I think this is quite common as they face "into the wind" as it were and get all the crap blasted down into them and gunk them up - worth a squirt of WD40 in there every so often.

At least it'll never fail on the rear wheel being out of alignment...

I had an almost identical fail, where I swear that the gods were messing me about.

Checked all the lights, both brake switches and WD40'd everything before I went, rode to the test centre and the back brake switch didn't want to work the brake light anymore when I got there - it had just stopped working on the 1 mile ride to the test centre, so it failed.

Called round all my mates, and good ol' Fordie came to the rescue. By the next day he'd taken the brake light switch off his 996 to lend me. We met up in Bedford where he was working and he gave me the switch - but that one wasn't working either. So I ordered two from JHP, one for each of us. They were delivered next day, but I was still running out of time for a free retest so I fitted it up quickly - success - checked all the lights and switches again before I left home and took it back in and bugger me if the dipped beam had blown - once again, it had happened between home and the test centre and I didn't notice it until the tester failed it again.

Luckily, I was able to fit a spare bulb there and then so we were cooking with gas.....errr, no....the tester then decided he was going to fail it for having a loose petrol tank. He'd grabbed the front of the tank and was swinging on it like a chimp, so of course the front of the tank was lifting. I told him about the way an ST tank is fitted, but he wasn't having any of it on my say so - mind you I was getting ****ed off by then so I didn't put my case very eloquently (I think a few fcu*'s were thrown around) and he wouldn't undo the two screws that it takes to get the tank pad off to see for himself.

So they pushed it outside again and I had to take the tank pad and the seat off myself to show them that there is a big pin holding the back of the tank on and a big rubber strap folding the front down - so of course if you pull the front of the tank like a gorilla it's going to flex up on it's hinges against the strap

Got the pass in the end but I couldn't believe the coincidence of having two things go pop between home and the MOT station, or the way the guy was trying to wrench the fuel tank off....never mind, it'll be even tougher this year
Old 06-Dec-2005, 14:00
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
My 851 was failed by the tester on headlight dipping wrong way and for having high level termi's fitted.

I went into the shop with tester to collect the fail certificate.

Shop owner said he would have a look and handed me a roll of insulating tape to alter the head light beam. Then came into the m.o.t. bay and asked the tester to fire the bike up. He then stood with his back to the rear of the bike and put his hands over the end of the '' silencers '' said '' sounds fine to me '' and then told the tester to give me a pass certificate.

Nice man....very nice man
Old 06-Dec-2005, 14:10
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
off topic, but I tought I had just witnessed the shortest ever posting by Jools, but normal service has been resumed Nice one mate

Nobody mentioned tyres yet

As for riding a bike that has no MOT/failed one....er....never done that obviously. I wonder if my CB5 would pass, be a laugh taking it in just to see the look on the testers face

WeeJohnyB
Old 10-Dec-2005, 17:56
Big Twin

Bled front brake yesterday, result....

PASS!

MOT certificates have changed since I last had one.

Now the hard part, I want to buy a car.

Looking around for a cheap (under 3k) Alfa 156.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit