Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-May-2005, 09:19
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Side stand woes

Well thats the second stand
prepping the 916 for spain trip, not only noticed the throttle cable had about 2 strands left when fitting the cyclecat bars, but after a new chain, and reseting the ride height, the damn thing looks like a joke.
with a bit of a wobble the thing gives way.
Does anyone know of a suitable mod that is not only about 1/2 and inch longer but mainly is made from a material unlike the "crappite" alloy in the original side stand.
i know cyclecat do one, sadly with 2 days to go i dont have the luxury of waiting for mailorder.

Cheers all
Old 17-May-2005, 10:15
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
possibly a daft suggestion, but how about trying a cast steel one off an ST.

The only other suggestion is to carry a small bit of inch thick wood (just helps to stand the bike more upright, so less strain on the stand).
This is my option for my trip this weekend - about 3" square fits in the pocket/tank bag nicely
Old 17-May-2005, 12:01
Big Twin

You might want to take a look at the whole assmebly that is currently on your bike.

For some reason my old 748 used to lean really far over when on the stand. It never looked right to me, and eventually the stand broke on one occassion...I guess due to the increased wight placed on it due to the angle of lean...fortunately with me right next to the bike! Even with a new stand (leg) fitted it still leant over way too far.

When I took it for a service one year at tecmoto, I asked them to see if they can check its all OK for staightness/tightness and if they could do anything about it. It was fine, all tight and true, but they swapped both the leg and bracket over for one they had in the shop off a newer model.

Problem Sorted. Nice angle of lean, with therefore less pressure being put through the stand leg.

Seemed that the bracket was to blame, nothing wrong with it, but it just seemed to be at a very steep angle, particularly when compared to one off the newer bike. I have seen several 748/9** bikes leaning way over when parked...but they do seem to be the older models. Perhaps the older brackets were a little 'steeper' in design?

Basically, the old stand 'leg' should be fine...if fitted to a good bracket!
Old 17-May-2005, 12:20
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
cheers gents, i will look into this.
for the time being, i have someone making me a foot for it, this will do fine if look a bit odd for a couple of weeks, but so long as it stays upright thats all that counts