Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-May-2005, 23:32
Bevel Head

Dry Clutch Question

Hi chaps!

Can anyone help me here please? I've done a search on the board but haven't found an exact answer. Can anyone give me a full rundown on the pros & cons of sintered clutch plates or non-sintered? What's the mechanical difference? What are the running characteristics, feel wear longevity etc

Looking to replace my clutch on a'97 748 BIP and was reading previous threads on the board about and ST4S setup and was just wondering about where "sintered" comes in on all this clutch business.
In summary if I went for the wider tang version on the plates with as steel basket, what/how much would I need to swap out and would it even fit a 748? Not sure what bike was being refered to in the other thread.

Many thanks in advance!!
Old 22-May-2005, 23:42
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Mike, the sintered plates tend to be of the performance variety and use different materials to provide the friction faces on the driven plates. They tend to be more metallic in content, hence the sintering process is used to bond them to the alloy plate.
Standard plates are more "fibrous" in their make up and appear to be "pressed" or bonded to the plates.
The sintered plates feel a little more grabby in some cases, simply because they have a higer coefficient of friction and once the clutch starts to take up it does so more quickly. You'd find yourself riding around this prettu quickly and soon not noticing it at all.

As for the ST clutch pack, if your basket is in decent nick, the clutch will go straight in, as per normal fitment.
Old 22-May-2005, 23:44
Mille
Bikes: Ducati MS1200 & 916 track bike

Mike,

Not sure about the whole sintered thing, but I have used the ST4 plates on my 748 to reduce the wear/noise when I went to an alloy baseket, however they would also be a straight swap for the standard set up.

Andy
Old 23-May-2005, 00:26
Bevel Head

Excellent many thanks!

PS.
I knew I should have gone to the BMF today on not Saturday...wet or what!
Old 23-May-2005, 00:28
Bevel Head

Ahh on other thing! Are the ST4 plates available in sintered?
Old 23-May-2005, 09:35
Ducati Corse

Its ST4S plates you want, they are ally. The ST2 and ST4 plates are steel.