Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Apr-2004, 10:06
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Right!New part now got,brief interlude to keep family life going,back to the disembowelled bike!
I've re-assembled everything....again.
Turned the ignition on to hear the fuel pump whirr,and gently pushed the starter:-

nothing!,not even a hint of activety.
All the fuses are fine,so it must be something obvious I've missed, as this was never part of the original problem.
What could I have dislodged,disconnected or forgotten to reconnect while reassembling the carburettors?,I cant see anything obvious like loose plugs or wires,every other electrical system works,theres no clicking or anything so theres no power getting anywhere from the button.
I haven't dissconnected anything except the stuff around the carbs,so this has got to be connected to that.
What have I done now?
Old 15-Apr-2004, 10:38
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Most likely thing is that you've dislodged the connector from the starter solenoid. The solenoid is the round thing in the rubber mount below the battery box and just behind the carbs. The connector is at the LH end of it where it's hard to get at behind the cylinders, on the end of a short cable about 4-5 inches long from the main loom on the opposite side of the bike. This connector is easily dislodged, it probably just need pushing in firmly. Hope that makes sense.
Old 15-Apr-2004, 13:17
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Starter solenoid - centre of pic between the frame 'triangle'....

Good luck
Old 15-Apr-2004, 15:09
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Frank, Your solenoid is mounted the other way round from mine and all the others I've seen. Generally the cables are on the inside where you can't see them. Mind you there is some sense fitting it like yours. On a track day last year mine managed to slip slightly out of its rubber mount so that the positive lead contacted the rear cylinder. It quickly wore through the rubber boot and shorted, burning out the battery connector. It could have been much worse
Is yours a later model perhaps? There seems to have been a few changes to the solenoid mounting. On a mates '93 900 it is mounted quite close to the n/s frame tube but on my '95 bike it is much further inboard to accomodate a bracket to hold a heavy duty connector which splits the +ve cable to the starter and to the rest of the bike. This brings it dangerously close to the rear cylinder as I found out. Maybe the moved it again on later bikes.
Old 15-Apr-2004, 17:36
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hi Derek,

I only used the piccy to show the general area...mine is a 'non-standard' part lets say (Ok, its a mini 1000 solenoid).

I thought it made sense to turn it round to aid the connections and provide the earth.

Good luck guys
Old 15-Apr-2004, 20:09
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Yep that did it!
Turns out the plug had dislodged a bit,
however,now I'm back to square one as the b@stard still wont start.
And I always wondered what 'project bike' meant.
Dont know what I'll do now?