Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Apr-2004, 13:51
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Is it possible to get too much oil cooling ? Shazzam ??

Just seen a nice ad for a nice monster oil cooler on 'the place that must not be mentioned'... (as her indoors will implode !!!)

I wondered about fitting a second oil cooler last year when I went to Silverstone to watch the WSB's.

After the ride in and queing up to enter - my poor bike was roasing nicely. I would of thought if they were built for the steamy heights of Italy, then they would be very happy in the UK......but as per the title....would it lead to too much oil cooling (unless there is a thermostatic valve in there somewhere as I aint delved into the oil side of my '93 900ss - too much yet)

My other thought while we are at it.....was to install a small fan between the 'V's to cool the back cylinder and aid air flow when at low speed - good idea or bad.....???

I must of had a good 'trip' that night

[Edited on 12-4-2004 by Iconic944ss]
Old 12-Apr-2004, 16:06
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Your oil viscosity selection chart in your owners manual tells you to change to a thinner oil if the expected outside temperatures are lower. Adding an oil cooler essentially shifts this chart, so that now you’ll need a thinner oil for the same riding conditions. Under severe conditions found at the track, an oil cooler allows you to keep the maximum temperatures down, but under street conditions the oil temperatures will drop below the values that the chart serves to promote.

As you can see from the chart, a single modern motor oil with viscosity enhancers can be used over a wide range of ambient temperatures and still maintain adequate oil pressure. So it’s not a sensitive parameter.

During an engine’s development time on a dyno, the oil temperature is monitored to avoid temperatures above 260ºF and below 200ºF to avoid oil breakdown at the high end and excessive pumping losses (and higher pressures) at the low end. These dyno runs are simulations of street riding conditions, but not representative of more severe heat loads during actual track conditions.

So, if you modify your oil cooling system you should monitor your oil pressure and adjust your oil viscosity to assure adequate - but not excessive - oil pressure under all riding conditions. See your service manual the correct cold idle, hot idle, and running operating pressures.

[Edited on 4-12-2004 by Shazaam!]
Old 12-Apr-2004, 17:19
WSB Hero

Hmmmm....interesting as always Sire !!!

And many Thanx for the super-fast reply.

Well, seeing as I dont have ANY oil pressure gauges and I'm running with the Mobil oil we both know and love......

I think I'll leave well alone.

Thank you !!!
Old 13-Apr-2004, 20:55
Montjuic

Mood: i'm hungry
i thought about the fan between the v thing as well, as i think that's what Buell's use and we've got a surplus store around here that carries that kind of thing.

over cooling? well, i bought a thermostat for my 900SS. haven't fitted it yet, but apparently it helps get the oil up to temperature quicker, and it keeps it up there on really cold days
Old 13-Apr-2004, 22:00
WSB Hero

Interesting Mark !!!

Let us know how you get on will ya ?

Cheers