Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Mar-2005, 13:42
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
New cams - Running in needed?

Hi Guys,

I'm having new DP cams put in my 998 in a couple of weeks. A couple of weeks after that I'm on my first track day of the year.

So, do I need to follow any break-in procedure for the new cams, before I rag it on the track?

I just want to be sure so I don't do a BAD THING.

Spinoli
Old 09-Mar-2005, 14:21
Mille

camshaft lobe surfaces have high loadings and relatively poor lubrication, so initial running in is critical but if the parts were manufactured correctly they bed in quickly. I would suggest at least 100 miles below 6000 rpm and then another 150 miles progressively increasing rpm.
I have just had the engine rebuilt and some headwork on my 998 and i am following this regime. I will still be taking it on track on easter friday even if I have not reached 250 miles but will use higher gears and lower revs. although you dont get massive drive out of the corners it makes you focus on corner entry speed and corner speed which for the first trackday of the year is no bad thing.

I would check with whoever is rebuilding the engine in case they have a different opinion.

dave
Old 09-Mar-2005, 20:25
Big Twin

I asked the same question during my head rebuild, the answer was no running in required.

The bikes already been on the dyno for 14 high speed full rev runs to setup the fuelling etc for the cams, and this is harder than you'd normally run it.
Old 10-Mar-2005, 09:00
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
Thanks for the responses Guys,

I've had a few responses (posted the question on Speedzilla as well).

I have the opportunity to do a bit of running in before I hit the track, and it would seem daft not to take it.

By the way, there have been a few instances of DP S/R cams failing due to bad material/finish. Does anyone have any experience of this, and does anyone know how to identify dodgy cams before installation?

Spinoli