Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-May-2004, 17:10
Mille

Mood: Long on Duke's...so happy
Possible write off on Bostrom Rep...what to do?

What a pain......60 odd mph get off on the 339 leads to bike tree interface more or less head on. Fork tubes bent (Ohlins too), radiator, new discs, quite a bit of plastic plus plus means that total bill is going to be c. £7500. This against a Bos Rep 998S May '02 with c. 4000 up. Repairer reckons they'll write it off, but I love the Bos Rep and don't think it'll be easy to replace. Dunno what val is but I've seen 998s's advertised with similar mileage for c. £10k and they don't have the Ohlins forks.

I could reduce the bill if I sourced a few parts elsewhere, but am really not sure what the best course of action is.

Does anyone know what policy insurers have in terms of repairs/value? I reckon it's about 60%,if above they write off, so I reckon I could bring the bill down a bit.

What might they offer me if it IS written off, and any idea or recent sales evidence of 998s's or if anyone knows of a Bos Rep for sale, please let me know?

Any ideas or experiences would be most welcome?

I realize this could go in the insurance section, but might not get noticed there!!!

And before all you clever clogs suggest I take a cheque and buy a 999 I don't want one!!!!!!!!
Old 28-May-2004, 17:15
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
60mph bike tree interface? ummm ... are you ok?
Old 28-May-2004, 17:18
Mille

Yeah, thanks for asking...!

Good slide but luckily nothing coming the other way, and given that leathers had just been "cleaned up after recent sliding fun" they now have yet another badge of honour.

Just banged my shoulder, otherwise enjoyed the ride!
Old 28-May-2004, 17:20
MotoGP God

So tell us the story, how did this all happen? When did this happen?

I went for a nice little ride this morning after fitting the mirrors and m\c screw and it's GREAT!!!

Hope you get back on her or her replacement soon ..
Old 28-May-2004, 18:02
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
A few years back I had my bike stolen/recoved with relatively minor damage. Insurance wrote it off and gave me 40% over list as it was a special edition. I had to turn down their first offer (doesn't everyone?) but they were quick to come back with a better one. In the end I sent them a spreadsheet with copies of all the ads I could find and they accepted that it'd take me a while to replace.

Incidentaly, if you're not Phil who was at the Artichoke a couple of weeks back, then I suggest you go to the Artichoke (Croxley Green) on a wednesday night and ask for Phil! He's got a Bostrom (with ohlins) that doesn't see that much use and might be persuaded to part company.

Cheers,

Ali
Old 28-May-2004, 18:10
Mille

Might have to look up "Phil", but for the moment I'm still waiting. Just spoken to carole nash who tell me they'll allow up to 70% of value before they write off, and your comments about a special are very useful.

I was pootling along (!) on A339 and wasa simple low side on big favourite left hander, nothing dramatic, which given some of what I get up to is outrageous really!!!!!!! Still, it's the little things isn't it!!!
Old 28-May-2004, 18:10
MotoGP God

Sh*te - any idea of why the front let go?
Old 28-May-2004, 19:42
Mille

Had stopped for a fag and an admiration of view and reckon it was a schoolboy cold tyre effort, but didn't go back and check so could have been oil/diesel.......not that it really matters....
Old 28-May-2004, 20:55
Big Twin

Sounds like it will be written off - definitely a good thing, as then you can buy it back off em for very little wedge, would make a good basis for a trackbike
Old 28-May-2004, 21:04
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Gotta be worth buying her back cheap from the insurance company if its a right off and then rebuilding her.

She'll still be a Bostrum rep(aired) !!!

Tim