Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 24-Jan-2006, 14:16
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Assen is not about points or not for me....Im going regardless of the point situation.....im going because i probably wont ever get the chance to Race at Assen ever again.....To actually Race at Assen in 2 races and have an hour on track on the saturday on what is one of the best GP circuits is to much of an offer to miss............
To share in the whole weekend experience with the lads ! race at Assen...its going to be a great memory and not cost alot more than a UK round..sure its a drive but hell so is Cads or Oulton............

Can i afford to go no..........am i going yes!! i simply cant afford not to from an expereince point of view

Those that choose not to go will prolly regret it.............i know i would......

Old 24-Jan-2006, 14:29
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by psychlist
Quote:
Originally posted by domski
Quote:
Originally posted by Dseered
None of my business I know but there is a possibility that all the DD riders can't get on the grid of a race series they have entered ???

I do follow the series a bit but this seems weird, what if everyone wanted to go, how would it be decided, sorry I don't know but is it point scoring at Assen ?

That was a possibility, but now looks like it's no problem.

Assen is points scoring.

At the moment, Cadwell in March is not (hopefully it stays that way)

Possibility yes, but it's still a problem because Assen is a step too far for a domestic novice race series. I understand the argument about Cadwell being a bit chilly in March but why make a UK race on a UK National circuit non-points scoring when we COULD fill the whole grid and MAKE those of us that can afford it travel to Europe to fight over limited spots on the COMBINED grid? Sorry mate, I apprecitae what a golden opportunity it is to race at Assen, but I'd rather pay a few bob less and take me chances at Cadwell in a FULL grid

I agree totally with you Paul. I'd rather do Cadwell for points and not go to Assen - from a financial point of view - but it's been confirmed that Assen is points scoring, so it's forced my hand. It is only because Assen is for points that I don't want to go to Cadwell as well.

I gave my answer based on that info, rather than the fact that I'd rather do Assen.
Old 24-Jan-2006, 14:38
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by fil2
Assen is not about points or not for me....Im going regardless of the point situation.....im going because i probably wont ever get the chance to Race at Assen ever again.....To actually Race at Assen in 2 races and have an hour on track on the saturday on what is one of the best GP circuits is to much of an offer to miss............
To share in the whole weekend experience with the lads ! race at Assen...its going to be a great memory and not cost alot more than a UK round..sure its a drive but hell so is Cads or Oulton............

Can i afford to go no..........am i going yes!! i simply cant afford not to from an expereince point of view

Those that choose not to go will prolly regret it.............i know i would......

Wot he said
Old 24-Jan-2006, 14:40
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
The spirit of DD is that of a budget, novice race series where ordinary CLUB members, who maybe have experience of track days, have the opportunity to take it to the next level without the alleged "cut throat" racing you may encounter in more "regular" race series.

Thanks to the huge efforts of Chris Bushell, Monty & MW on the RC and the riders for putting on last years spectacular, it HAS grown from that, which is one of the big reasons we've got to have a split grid this year.

One of the reasons put to me for FORCING the issue at Assen by INSISTING that it's points scoring was to coerce us to go so "the club" could put on a good show to prospective club members that would then join with us, the feeling was that there wouldn't be enough entries if it wasn't points scoring! In other words it's nothing more than a publicity stunt and we'd be the ones that'd pay for it in hard cash by going there. A fantastic opportunity yes, but not one that should be part of a budget, novice race series, especially as it's a limited grid! Apart from the fact I can't afford it I won't be going on principle.
I think it should be a "Trophy Race" like the race of champions at Castle Combe, I don't believe it should be points scoring but if you're going to force anyone to take part at Assen then why not "just" make it a points scorer for the 620 series?
What would you then do with the 583 riders who would want to go but would not be "part" of the race?
If you let 583 riders compete in a 620 race at Assen (it IS a mixed grid after all) how will that affect those that want to play hard-ball in the 620 class when they come flying round a corner to find two 583's having their own private battle in the twisty section of the "583" race? Should anyone give way? Of course not!

Those people that can afford to go to Assen (or those that get selected) will be battling in a smaller field than they would normally, those of us that normally finish in the bottom half of the order (myself!) would benefit by scoring higher points than we otherwise would. Is that fair on those that can't afford it or aren't selected?

The whole thing about us going to Assen is out of context with a budget/novice race series, especially when we have tracks available in this country that can take both classes on full size grids and are easier to reach for the potential club members that I've ben told we want to attract by going to Assen.
At the end of the day (it gets dark. I know) you pays yer money and takes yer pick, but until it's finalised it is still open for debate. So let's!

Hear, hear
Old 24-Jan-2006, 14:46
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Quote:
The spirit of DD is that of a budget, novice race series where ordinary CLUB members, who maybe have experience of track days, have the opportunity to take it to the next level without the alleged "cut throat" racing you may encounter in more "regular" race series.

LOL....

according to this

a. it's not a proper series
b. you have to be a CLUB member
c. it's not cut-throat....

not sure that's right mate.
Old 24-Jan-2006, 14:46
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:

Yeah, wot he said too
Old 24-Jan-2006, 14:47
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:

Ed Zachary! If I'm going to spend £x000 this year, what's an extra £1-200 to go to Assen, meet some of the Dutch gang, see their fantastic bikes (and they are legendary), ride the new GP circuit, eat too many waffles, and show them how to race. Or at least how to crash with style!

As for points at Cadwell, I can't condone forcing complete novices into potentially very cold/wet conditions for their first race. Our first weekend was hard enough as it was without the prospect of serious weather hanging over you (yes, it was a little wet in practice, but there's a whole world of difference between practicing in the wet and racing). Having said that it'll almost certainly be picture-pefect weather now just to wind me up!

I'd also like a chance for my shoulder to strengthen up so April would be perfect all round.

Just my 2p.

Ali
Old 24-Jan-2006, 14:50
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by ali
[I'd also like a chance for my shoulder to strengthen up so April would be perfect all round.

Ali

me, me, me
Old 24-Jan-2006, 15:46
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Quote:
Originally posted by ali
[

As for points at Cadwell, I can't condone forcing complete novices into potentially very cold/wet conditions for their first race. Our first weekend was hard enough as it was without the prospect of serious weather hanging over you (yes, it was a little wet in practice, but there's a whole world of difference between practicing in the wet and racing). Having said that it'll almost certainly be picture-pefect weather now just to wind me up!

Ali [/quote]

I can understand where you are comming from Ali and others that support non-points but can i respond with a few questions.?

Last year the percentage of complete Novices was alot higher.? where was the concern for a free race practise with no points then.?

Last year we started on the Cadwell Woodland Circuit.?? has to be far more dangerous than the full Cadwell circuit this year..??

We Started 1 month later..is the weather going to be so much worse.? cos i remember waking up with the Iraq war going off over head at 5 am .! and racing in the ****ing rain and cold.?...

How many offs did we have at Cadwell Woodlands in wet n cold.? Not as many as people thought and the vast majority were novices

Are the complete novices that concerned about getting a Race for practise with no points.? will that be the deciding factor to there race season .? they chose to race without the chance of " live " practise....i think not...

Donny was the wettest race all season and that was August.?

If some of the DD racers dont turn up for Cadwll non-points it not much of a DD race season kick of is it....does it potray us in a poor light.?

Cadwell non-points = snetterton 3 race weekend i have been lead to believe.....are the DD massive aware of the ramifications if u bin out on the sat and miss 3 races.? your little 583 boils over in the 30 minute race then its gotta race again on the Sunday,..?

Just playing devils advocate.!..as i dunno what i am doing either way

Old 24-Jan-2006, 15:58
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
I've fitted a temperature gauge and the oil cooler should follow soon