Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Jun-2006, 09:07
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

I had a 750SS for 10 years, 93 version. Did a countershaft upgrade, carbon pipes, DyanaJet, headlight upgrade and the bike was a faithful servant with lots of grunt for most of those years....oh, yeah, put an Ohlins on the rear. I live in Japan, land of winding mountain roads and immense traffic jams into Tokyo where I found the lighter 750 easier to deal with than a couple of 900's I rode. Really noticed the diffeerence on tight twisty backroads where the lighter front wheel (single disk) was more responsive and less tiring (oil clutch helped here as well). No doubt the 900 just pulls like crazy and is a blast to blast (sic), but I found the 750 to be more flexible in a lot of different situations (including some off-road adventures!) BTW, clutch was still original when I sold the bike with over 35,000 kilos on it.
Old 16-Jun-2006, 09:24
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Countershaft upgrade ???

New one on me Sire - more info please?

Frank
Old 16-Jun-2006, 15:25
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic944ss
Countershaft upgrade ???

New one on me Sire - more info please?

Frank
I think he means he fitted a smaller gearbox sprocket! I wouldn't put it so grandly myself.
Old 05-Jul-2006, 08:53

Mood: depressed!
750ss v 900ss

Franco,
I have had both, and personally the 750 didn't cut it for me. The power of the 750 was only slightly down, but the one I had struggled to maintain a decent top end over 120, whereas my 900 would show 140 on the clock.
I much preferred the character of the 900, it being slightly rougher than the 750, but much better low down and altogether a more exciting bike. I love the rattle of the 900's dry clutch, the suspension's better, the tyres are bigger and on some 750's you only get one front disc.
Plus there's the kudos of the 900 over the 750. And no matter what anyone says to the contrary, I think the 900 badge alone gives it the edge.
A 900 for me anytime, but the price and the condition and service of the bike should be the deciding factor.

Good luck.
p.s: Anyone want to swap their ss for my bandit????
Old 05-Jul-2006, 10:56
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Thumbs up Horses for courses Franco!

...but I want an 800