Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 26-Sep-2005, 10:02
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Hi Tonio,

There should be a few around for £50-70, but remember it will need servicing, re-springing and setting up before you get any benefit from buying it.

I paid £90 for my NCR shock and it's miles better than either the Sachs or the Showa, so my advice would be to hold out for a decent shock off fleabay.

I wouldn't suggest trying to get it sorted for Cadwell. Once you get it it'll need setting up which will take a few track sessions. Not a good idea unless you've got a track day before the race.

Cheers,

Ali
Old 26-Sep-2005, 10:03
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
must point out the 900SSie shock is slightly longer than the earlier 900SS (carb) shock.
I have a Hagon shock meant for a 900SSie in my 583cc 600SS, it lits the rear a bit giving a steeper rake angle and therefore a bit quicker steering as well as increased ground clearance. It also puts a bit more weight on the front wheel which is how I like my bikes.
Old 26-Sep-2005, 10:08
MotoGP God

http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/HagApps2.htm

HAGON MONOSHOCK CODE N ADJUSTABLE SPRING AND DAMPING £255
Old 26-Sep-2005, 10:27
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Quote:
Message original : ali
Hi Tonio,

There should be a few around for £50-70, but remember it will need servicing, re-springing and setting up before you get any benefit from buying it.

I paid £90 for my NCR shock and it's miles better than either the Sachs or the Showa, so my advice would be to hold out for a decent shock off fleabay.

I wouldn't suggest trying to get it sorted for Cadwell. Once you get it it'll need setting up which will take a few track sessions. Not a good idea unless you've got a track day before the race.

Cheers,

Ali

One of the 2 I can have has been "refurbished" (in French we say 'reconditionne') but I'm not sure it was in the purpose to be used on track. Will it be ok for me? Your advice are wise, I shouldn't buy one in a hurry. But one of the 2 I've found (still waiting for the price) is sold by a friend of mine in France, so it may be a good bargain...

Quote:
Message original : skidlids
must point out the 900SSie shock is slightly longer than the earlier 900SS (carb) shock.
I have a Hagon shock meant for a 900SSie in my 583cc 600SS, it lits the rear a bit giving a steeper rake angle and therefore a bit quicker steering as well as increased ground clearance. It also puts a bit more weight on the front wheel which is how I like my bikes.

That's a good news... I find the 620 too high for me, so looking for a rear shock designed for a carbs SS may help me solving my problem...

Cheers mates.
Old 26-Sep-2005, 10:55
MotoGP God

Tonio you can have my standard 600SS carb shock if you want for free, I have no futher use for it. its from a 1996 bike so its getting on a bit. but may give you a idea of how a shock of its length will change your bike
Old 26-Sep-2005, 11:09
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by Tonio600
One of the 2 I can have has been "refurbished" (in French we say 'reconditionne') but I'm not sure it was in the purpose to be used on track. Will it be ok for me? Your advice are wise, I shouldn't buy one in a hurry. But one of the 2 I've found (still waiting for the price) is sold by a friend of mine in France, so it may be a good bargain...
There's a very good chance it will still need to be sprung for your weight (ask the guy you're buying it from how much he weighs and if he had it re-sprung to suit).

Quote:
That's a good news... I find the 620 too high for me, so looking for a rear shock designed for a carbs SS may help me solving my problem...

The only issue here is the change in head angle which will slow the steering. Again, you'll be best if you can take the time to set the bike up correctly rather than trying to qualify with a bike that won't go round corners.
Old 26-Sep-2005, 11:29
Ducati in my Blood

Cheers Skids, my friend will lend me his Showa one for me to try it the 620. If it doesn't happen, I'll be happy to try yours to check how it changes the bike.

Ali, my friend must be same size and weight than me so it should be ok for that. My bike has never been set up so changing anything now can't be worse. I just want to get the more benefits I can from the fact that a fast rider will try it at TA5... It will be my first "I get some data" day
Old 27-Sep-2005, 00:17
Mille

Tonio. i've been using a standard rear shock all season - it aint perfect but its not bad. Set sag to approx 5mm and start with standard damper settings.

1st thing to change on the 620 are the front fork springs (the standard ones are horrid dual rate things) to a single rate spring (Neil at Sigma might be able to advise on what weight spring (can't remember what i'm running)). Use 7.5 weight oil and fill to standard air gap. After that you need to play with spring weights / air gap - aim for soft as possible without it bottoming under braking. I've dropped the yokes down the forks by 10mm but you're best starting at standard.
Old 27-Sep-2005, 08:40
Ducati in my Blood

Hi Ian,

actually it's very difficult for me to know what's ok on not on my bike. I just have no idea. Maybe the bike is perfect and the only problem is me. So I try to make my opinion based on what I read and what experienced racers tell me.

Regarding my poor riding skills, I think I know what can help: trackday, laptimer, do what they told you, trackday, laptimer, do what they told you...etc...

Regarding the bike... A mate (who told me he used to race in the axe murderers series... don't really know what it means) at work told me I had to set up my bike with proper suspensions, and that it was the only way to start improving my laptimes. And now you tell me I don't need to change my rear shock absorber... And of course I believe you as well... So I'm lost.

I'm looking forward to TA5, I should be able to have a look at another 620 Sport of the DD series there and I'm allowed to set mine up in the same way...
Old 27-Sep-2005, 18:33
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonio600
axe murderers series... don't really know what it means

That will be the Supersport 600's then.

Bloomin poofs