Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 12-Nov-2005, 23:02
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by ericthered40
Lovely little thing she is I've already started feeling sorry for it
so do am I Eric - she seems so clean

Race committee are about right in £700 or less for an engine, but dont forget to factor in the mandatory Power Commander - or FIM chip, which the 'front runners' mostly had this year.

Also, you will have to change the tank, & get the fuel injection pump, to go with the 620 engine.
You will need to partly sort the wiring loom, and if using an ECU - poss get the matching clocks too.

Might just cost you a tad more......

Why not keep to 583 for a season?
But good luck - and cant wait to see her out there

Old 12-Nov-2005, 23:04
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by domski
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
As much as that Paul, I got the impression you could get one with all the kit needed to get it running for that money.

So Eric twin disc or single as I see it has the lugs on the RH fork leg

well spotted that man,

well we are still debating that one
thoughts would be handy. I know watching last year some single brake set ups were failing miserably but were they using the right fluid in them?

Well, I had this conversation with Geoff (yes, Spencer!!) at Donington after Louigi had converted our twin-disc/P34 set-up (which was way too harsh) to a single disc and P34 caliper - which just boiled the fluid and provided a scary moment in my leathers!!

I'd advise you going for twin disc with standard calipers - I believe that's what Geoff ran, and what Dave Reilly was gunna do following a similar pant-filling moment... and what I would fit to my DD bike if I had one.

Bike looks too good to race - best cane the nuts off it then

Will cane it first thing tomorow morning

Did anyone try wonder fluid? I have been told to try this first before we go with the extra weight seeing as you can't lighten the wheels?
Old 12-Nov-2005, 23:19
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by CK and AK
Quote:
Lovely little thing she is I've already started feeling sorry for it
so do am I Eric - she seems so clean

Race committee are about right in £700 or less for an engine, but dont forget to factor in the mandatory Power Commander - or FIM chip, which the 'front runners' mostly had this year.

Also, you will have to change the tank, & get the fuel injection pump, to go with the 620 engine.
You will need to partly sort the wiring loom, and if using an ECU - poss get the matching clocks too.

Might just cost you a tad more......

Why not keep to 583 for a season?
But good luck - and cant wait to see her out there

I did think of 583 next year but lets just say I was persuaded I would do OK in A class.

I know about the power commander and wiring plus drilling out for larger engine bolts but the tanks a new one on me, change tank for a different one or alter the standard one?
Old 12-Nov-2005, 23:28
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

you will need a fuel injection pump Eric with the fuel injected engine, so unless you change the tank to the 'ie' tank, you will need an external fuel pump and a return to tank fuel line.
Talk to Paul Payne - he has already done this with an SS.
I have done it all with the monster.

You dont need to 'drill out' for larger engine bolts - you sleeve the engine - comes courtesy of B&Q for about £7 per length.

Means you can go back to 583 if you ever want to.

Note: if you are using any 620 engine with key recognition, you will need all the parts from that bike, unless you are using a different computer.

Hope this is of help?

Alan
Old 12-Nov-2005, 23:30
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I was all for a single disc setup at the begining of the season, I then had my 3 DNFs at the first meeting at Cadwell all through brake failure. I traced this to the bush in the bottom of left fork protruding to far. I sorted this out and didn't suffer any brake failure problems at the following round at Castle Combe, instead I just suffered fron being out braked by twin disc setups. So after that I went twin disc.
At the Donington round I was talking to my mate about this and his words were "you need twin discs these days".
That was good enough for me considering he races European Supermonos, British Supermonos (47sec laps of Brands Indy on his) , last year he won 3 club championships (Powerbike, Open and SoT) and is also unbeaten since 2003 in ant SoT he has finished including the wet SoT races at Donington.
For the rest of the season I ran with the twin discs, can't say I really noticed any effects from the extra weight but I was certainly a lot more confident in stopping the bike which came in really handy at Hatchetts Hairpin at Pembrey.
Old 12-Nov-2005, 23:38
Big Twin

Quote:
you will need a fuel injection pump Eric with the fuel injected engine, so unless you change the tank to the 'ie' tank, you will need an external fuel pump and a return to tank fuel line.

You dont need to 'drill out' for larger engine bolts - you sleeve the engine - comes courtesy of B&Q for about £7 per length.

Note: if you are using any 620 engine with key recognition, you will need all the parts from that bike, unless you are using a different computer.

Hope this is of help?

Alan

Thanks for that makes much more sense to sleeve the engine down.

Did Paul change tank or go for external pump?
Old 12-Nov-2005, 23:42
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Think Paul got a tank, but prob best to u2u him to confirm.

Rich @ Louigimoto put an external pump on the bike that Dom was riding.

Are you going to be doing the work yourself Eric - or 'outsourcing' it?

Old 12-Nov-2005, 23:49
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
I was all for a single disc setup at the begining of the season, I then had my 3 DNFs at the first meeting at Cadwell all through brake failure. I traced this to the bush in the bottom of left fork protruding to far. I sorted this out and didn't suffer any brake failure problems at the following round at Castle Combe, instead I just suffered fron being out braked by twin disc setups. So after that I went twin disc.
At the Donington round I was talking to my mate about this and his words were "you need twin discs these days".
That was good enough for me considering he races European Supermonos, British Supermonos (47sec laps of Brands Indy on his) , last year he won 3 club championships (Powerbike, Open and SoT) and is also unbeaten since 2003 in ant SoT he has finished including the wet SoT races at Donington.
For the rest of the season I ran with the twin discs, can't say I really noticed any effects from the extra weight but I was certainly a lot more confident in stopping the bike which came in really handy at Hatchetts Hairpin at Pembrey.

Twin discs it is then thanks.
Old 12-Nov-2005, 23:49
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:

Hope this is of help?

Alan

The old SSs come with a fule pump as standard, but it's not as strong as the ie pump. The good news is that it's exactly the same size. The tank has a return spiggot on the bottom. Geoff reconned they just swapped the ie pump into the new tank and that was it, but I may be mistaken as the whole codeine/red wine thing is reaking havoc with my memory...

Ali
Old 13-Nov-2005, 00:01
Big Twin

Quote:
Think Paul got a tank, but prob best to u2u him to confirm.

Rich @ Louigimoto put an external pump on the bike that Dom was riding.

Are you going to be doing the work yourself Eric - or 'outsourcing' it?

The plan is to do as much my self as possible but i also have the help of the Tecmoto mitch and my tool maker cousin roger