Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Jan-2006, 21:04
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
what bike is it?
Old 15-Jan-2006, 21:12
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by madmav
what bike is it?

One of the old ones.......got us a bad reputation they did!
Old 15-Jan-2006, 21:18
Ducati Corse

Please tell me how you checked that the battery was okay. Did you put a multi meter across and then see what happens when you press the starter?
A green light on the optimate doesnt always mean that the battery is okay.
Old 19-Jan-2006, 09:04
Mille

Hi Rockhopper & thanks for the advice:
24hrs after disconnecting the Optimate the multimeter battery reading was 13.02v. Switching the Datatool off then turning the ignition key to the 'on' position (as usual got relay click but no pump whirr) the reading went down to 12.82v, then pressing the starter button for 5 secs gave a reading of 12.30v. When the key was turned back to 'off' the level crept back up to 12.90v.
I've rechecked all the fuses, and can''t find any loose or damaged connections..Sorry to keep asking for help,but if anyone's got any suggestions then I'd be very grateful!
Cheers, il.
Old 19-Jan-2006, 09:10
Mille

Oh yeah, sorry madmav it's a 996S.
Andyb - the bike's not old but I am. And definitely not getting any wiser.
Old 19-Jan-2006, 09:17
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
if you're deffo not getting a whirrrr from the fuel pump then it's simply never going to start.

So question time.... are you getting any noise on the button pressing ? i'm going to guess at a no...

Which tells me it's 1 of 3 things.

1. Sidestand
2. Kill switch
3. Pump itself.

Now i know you've checked the sidestand and the killswitch, but that doesn't necessarily mean the are in working order.

You could try checking the fuel pump electrical connector. Underneath the tank itselff is a male/female plug.

Kill switch... there has to be a fairly simple way of bypassing it... however its beyond my skills. I would start however by taking the killswitch apart and giving it a clean and check.

Sidestand.... i'm again not sure exactly how the cut out relays work on these sorry.
Old 19-Jan-2006, 09:52
Ducati Corse

Ah so the fuel pump isnt priming but the engine is turning over? Or the engine isnt turning over? I think the click is the starter solenoid as per normal and if that is clicking then the starter should turn. If its not turning then there must be a fault in either the starter or the solenoid. That doesn't expalin why the pump isn't priming though.
I'm still leaning towards a battery thats failing under load although your voltmeter reading don't really support this! Maybe the battery is fine but the fault is in one of the cables from the battery. Check the security of the various connections (give them a good tug) including the engine earth at the back of the motor.