Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 26-Apr-2005, 14:29

Exporting to the U.S of A

Hi,

I am have for some time known that I am moving to San Fran, Calafornia in June. My question is has anyone has any experince of shipping a bike to the US? The physical shipping is not a problem but I have been told that the emission laws in calafornia are quite strict, in fact I have been told by a ducati stockist out is CA that I need to have charcoal filters fitted to the engine which can only be done at the engine build stage at the factory. Is this right or a load of old B******s.
Old 26-Apr-2005, 14:36
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Try posting your question here: www.clubdesmo.com, a local San Francisco club.

Are you going to be moving in time for the MotoGP at Laguna Seca? I will be there all being well. Used to live in that part of the world.
Old 26-Apr-2005, 14:46
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Sounds correct to me. Californian emissions are very strict. I'm sure you could retro fit the filters though? Might not be worth doing as you'd need to get the bike tested and US approved - I think it's a lengthy process.

It's got to be cheaper and easier to sell you bike here and buy another in the US.
Old 26-Apr-2005, 14:57

laguna seca tickets are on their way!!!!! As for selling the bike and getting one out there, you are correct they are so much cheaper only problem is I have the grey 748s very rare in the states. I think it will come down to having to sell it, gutted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wanted to see if anyone had prior experiance of shipping a bike.
Old 26-Apr-2005, 15:07
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Importing from Europe into the US

You need to obtain a Letter of Conformity from Ducati or else hire someone licensed by the EPA to modify it and certify that it meets US standards. The LOC is essentially equivalent to the DOT federal safety certification label and EPA emissions label that are required to be affixed to all imported bikes. It's my understanding that Ducati UK will assist their dealers in providing the necessary parts and conforming labels/certifying documents for exporting some European models to the US. The pipes, headlights, reflectors, speedometer and emissions need to be EPA/DOT conforming. You'll probably need to replacing the left switch assembly, the headlight (for right side of the road riding) and the speedometer (to read MPH), and computer EPROM (for emissions). They will then do all the paperwork necessary to verify you have a US specification bike, including providing all applicable EPA/DOT stickers.

Importing Grey-Market Motorcycles into California from Overseas

A bike that is inported by someone other than the manufacturer is called a grey-market motorcycle here.

A 1974-or-newer non-US motorcycle cannot be imported into the US unless it meets exhaust emissions, noise level and federal DOT safety standards (controls, displays, brakes, headlights, horn, reflectors, etc.). Before entry you will need to obtain a Letter of Conformity generated by the manufacturer of the bike or you'll have to post a (US Customs) bond and hire a registered importer licensed by the feds to modify it within 120 days and certify that it meets these US standards unless it's for off-road (competition) use only. You can't register off-road motorcycles in California.

It may be very costly and in some cases impossible to modify these vehicles to meet California emission requirements. For example, gray market vehicles less than two years old are not legal for registration or use in California.

A federal (safety) certification label and EPA emissions label are required to be affixed to all imported bikes. Manufacturers test and certify certain (but not all) models for the US market. Non-manufacturer (grey market importers and individuals) must prove to US customs that each bike (not having a manufacturer's certification) meets all US standards BEFORE entry is allowed. An exception is made for bikes temporarily imported for competition, provided they are not licensed for use, or driven, on public roads.

You will have a problem importing a 1974-or-newer non-US motorcycle that doesn't have a manufacturer's US EPA certification. Federal EPA laws limit motorcycle exhaust emissions so equipment to limit emissions is required to be installed on all new motorcycles sold new in the US. The California law imposes even stricter emissions limits than the US federal standard so manufacturers either install one system to meet the requirements of all states or install a separate system in motorcycles sold only in California. After 1974, a manufacturer's sticker stating what emission standard it meets is required to be placed on all new motorcycles sold in the US.

The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will do a VIN, federal certification label, and EPA exhaust emissions label inspection when you apply to register your bike. Motorcycles manufactured for US delivery have 17-digit VINs so some overseas bikes are immediately recognizable from their non-standard VINs. If it has over 7,500 miles it doesn't have to meet California-specific emissions requirements, but you still are expected to show it meets federal EPA emissions requirements. If there is no EPA sticker or federal certification safety sticker they refer you to the California Highway Patrol (CHP) to resolve the issue.

As I said previously, it's my understanding that Ducati UK will assist their dealers in providing the necessary parts and conforming labels for exporting some European models into the US.

You need to submit forms EPA 3520-1 and DOT HS-7 to Customs at the time entry is made. Also, applicable written approvals from these agencies must be obtained in advance and presented to Customs along with these forms. See: http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/impoexpo/impoexpo.htm for more help. I recommend you check EPA's web site and NHTSA's web site as well for any additional information that may apply.

Your warranty may not be valid in the US and you may not be notified of recalls.

One owner reports that if the sticker is missing, the California DMV will contact Ducati North America directly to verify that the VIN corresponds to a bike manufactured to the 50-state spec.

Importing Motorcycles from Overseas

So you've got this great motorcycle, for a great price, and you've been staying up nights trying to figure out how to get it into the U.S., title it, and register it for use on the street. You've even thought about taking it apart and shipping it in pieces.

Well, the employees of U.S. Customs, Department of Transportation, Environmental Protection Agency, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and each State's Department of Motor Vehicles know all the tricks. Consequently, there are a complex series of challenges to the import of foreign motorcycles that you will first need to satisfy. There are further procedural and legal requirements for obtaining an ownership title and the registration for using it on the public roads.

That's why there are designated registered importers and independent commercial importers who are expert and who have demonstrated experience in navigating these requirements; it's (purposely made) very difficult for an individual to import a motorcycle that wasn't manufactured to comply with U.S. safety and environmental standards

There have been cases of individuals subverting the system, mostly through inexperienced federal and state employees who've made mistakes in applying the rules. If you think you've got an original scheme to exploit a loophole, here's some suggested reading to start with. If you don't intend to follow the rules you risk losing your bike and being charged with a crime. Also bear in mind that, in most states, the definition of a stolen motorcycle is a bike being held by a person who is not in current possession of the title, or any motorcycle without a vehicle identification number (VIN).

Suggested Reading

U.S. Department of Customs & Border Protection (USCBP)

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/import/

Duty Rates

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Vehicle Importation Regulations

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) Booklet
List of Registered Importers
How to Become a Registered Importer
Registered Importer Newsletters
Vehicle Eligibility List
Vehicle Importation Guidelines (Canadian)
Vehicle Importation Guidelines (Non-Canadian)
Temporary Vehicle Importation Guidelines
Temporary Importation of a Motor Vehicle under Box 7 of the HS7 Form
HS-7 Declaration Form
HS-474 Bond to Ensure Conformance with Motor Vehicle Safety and Bumper Standards
Show or Display: Importing a Vehicle for Show or Display Purposes.
Information for Racing: Importing a Vehicle for Racing Purposes.

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/imptop.htm

Automotive Imports Facts Manual - provides comprehensive information on importing your vehicle

Quick Overview of Vehicle Imports Requirements - provides*a way to quickly identify the EPA requirements for many imported vehicles.

Canadian Vehicles Approved for Import - Canada has harmonized vehicle emission standards with the U.S. and many vehicles made for sale in Canada are eligible for import to the U.S.

Independent Commercial Importers (ICIs) - businesses authorized by EPA to import, modify and test vehicles*to demonstrate conformity with U.S. emission requirements. In order to become a designated ICI you must obtain*a certificate of conformity.

EPA Standard Form 3520-1- Declaration form*used to import vehicles into the U.S.*

U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)

DOT regulations are in Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/c...rch.html#page1

Requirements for lights, horns, reflectors, speedometers, noise attenuation etc.

State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

Title Regulations and Procedures
Registration Regulations and Procedures

BTW, most recently manufactured Ducatis will meet California emission standards with very little effort. The charcoal filter for example is a simple add-on closed system to absorb fuel vapors and then release it back to the airbox for burning. Also, the California Department of Motor Vehicles doesn't check to see that the equipment is actually installed and doesn't test for tailpipe emissions on motorcycles. It only verifies that the EPA sticker that certifies compliance is affixed to the seat panel.

[Edited on 4-26-2005 by Shazaam!]
Old 26-Apr-2005, 15:47
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Err, like I said it's a lengthy process
Old 26-Apr-2005, 16:52
Big Twin

Mood: Happy.
Quote:
Posted by Twinfan:-
Err, like I said it's a lengthy process

Yes, indeed, a bit like one of my posts.

[Edited on 26-4-2005 by Italian Stallion]
Old 26-Apr-2005, 20:32
Mille

Shazaam!

You are truly a wise man amongst fools.

But you don't half make my head hurt.

Old 27-Apr-2005, 00:10
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
All of Shazaam's post above is why Harv now has my mate Camerons 916SP3-there is no way it would meet any of the requirements without spending significantly more than the bike is worth. The 916SP3 was never imported to the States as it wouldn't meet the emissions requirements.

John
Old 29-Apr-2005, 12:20
Mille

Mood: building the beast
Quote:
Originally posted by Sylvester13
laguna seca tickets are on their way!!!!! As for selling the bike and getting one out there, you are correct they are so much cheaper only problem is I have the grey 748s very rare in the states. I think it will come down to having to sell it, gutted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wanted to see if anyone had prior experiance of shipping a bike.

You could get a set of red or yellow plastics on ebay and sell the bike with those and take your grey stuff with you and fit them to your new bike! Must be better then trying to convert this one