Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 11-Jun-2013, 13:34
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
an AWESOME weekend....

I thought having been off a bike for a year that I ought to do a little write up, let you all know how it went for me.

First of all it was all rush rush rush trying to get my new bike finished in time, I got it all together with a few days to spare, all be it not painted or tested.

I had promised myself, and my wife and family that I wasn't out to win anything. Donington was to be used just a test day to see if the bike worked, to see if I was still able to ride and if I still enjoyed racing. Really I would have liked to have done a test day before hand but I wasn't ready on time.

I packed up the err,,, horse box,,, sort of, put my borrowed leathers and bike in and set off, I had decided not to pack any tools or anything other than the bike, leathers and a can of petrol. I thought if anything went wrong I'd just come home.

I had expected it to pass scrutineering though, so off to see Kev (the man you need to know) who sorted me out, Thanks again mate.

Qualifying came along and I was supposed to take it slow and steady to give the bike a proper test before the first race. To my amazement I found the bike was just about perfect, and also to my amazement I felt a little bit less perfect, bloody awful actually I couldn't find an apex if it hit me in the face, I was braking about 100m to early for every corner, tipping in too early or too late, holding my breath and gripping the handlebars so tight I nearly passed out. I found that the harder I tried the more mistakes I made, I sorted myself out and just about put in a reasonable time, not too quick but o.k. Put me 10th on the grid. Afterwards I could hardly walk, my legs were like jelly, I felt so unfit.

Race 1

I was really nervous, all I could think about was that in my last race of 2012 I nearly flipped the bike off the start line, I was so determined not to do that again I think didn't let the clutch out enough and pulled away really slowly and lost a load of places. Into the first corner I was surrounded by bikes all trying to elbow me out the way. I'm not used to the mid pack thing and found it all a bit scary. After, I found my confidence, and just about remembered where the track went. I slowly and carefully started to work my way up through the field, until I caught sight of Matt Larrett, (yes him again) I made a couple of attempts to overtake him. each time backing off at the last moment, Matt managed to get past Kev Palmer and started to make a gap so I was perhaps a little bit impatient to get past. I tried to overtake Kev on the outside at coppice when I inexplicably had a bit of a panic attack and ran wide into the gravel still going pretty quick, I thought 'oh my gosh! This is going to really hurt' I managed to pull it up before the tyre wall and dig myself out and back on to the track in last place, Just before the red flags. Going back 1 lap I was credited with 9th place. I can't believe that I nearly turned it upside down on my first race back.. what an idiot.. what will my wife say..

Race 2

After Kev E had emptied the gravel from my bellypan I lined up on the grid for race 2 determined to make a better start, which I did, still not brilliant, but not too bad, I had a bit of a race with a few people, on my way up to about 6th place I think before a few came back past, I could see Ghost up ahead and he became my new target I got quite close at 1 point, I couldn't get past but there were still a few laps to go,, then I made the mistake of looking over my shoulder, and Mark Roxborough was breathing down my neck, I then tried to speed up a bit and cocked up the next few corners, Mark overtook me and Ghost and they both took off at a pace I couldn't match.

But two 9th places wasn't too bad I suppose, in my first race back only a year after I broke my back, on a bike that had never turned a wheel before Qualifying, with no practice/testing and with last years left over tyres.

it was great to be back, I can't believe how fast you lot are or that I used to be up there with you...

Roll on Snetterton........................................ .............................................
Old 11-Jun-2013, 13:48
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Ouality write up Matt, looking at some pics my daughter took you were in my back pocket at Melbourne loop. Great to have you back and the Larrett as well. Just like old times, need the Jolly man to make a return now.

Bet he will wait so he is eligible for class B again. Sorry Ron.
Old 11-Jun-2013, 15:17
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 620SS Desmo Due 800SS Minitwin 1000SS Monster 750

Mood: Inquisitive cat
I'd be more scared of explaining to the missus thanhitting the tyre wall

I saw you digging the bike out .. the 10 foot of gravel you where spraying reminded me of my motocross days as a lad

i thought there's a guy determined to get back on track

realise why now ha ha

good effort
Old 11-Jun-2013, 15:27
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bally71
I'd be more scared of explaining to the missus than hitting the tyre wall

I was!
Old 11-Jun-2013, 15:32
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Ouality write up Matt

Dunno about that, but thanks anyway...

I was right behind you in that pick it looked like I was pillion didn't it.
Old 11-Jun-2013, 17:26
Big Twin

Well done matey. Onwards and upwards.

If you are doing Cadwell I'll see you there.
Old 11-Jun-2013, 17:53
Big Twin

can't do cadwell Snett then Brands.... That'll be all for this year I think, Maybe squeeze in another if all goes well, but....... wait and see.

Matt
Old 11-Jun-2013, 21:05
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Congrtaulation Matt :-), takes a lot to come back after what happened. Glad you enjoyed it, could not be there to see it, but should going to Snetterton, so will see you there.

Chris