Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Feb-2006, 15:29
500SD

Starting Problems

Can anyone advise!
I'm having serious morning starting problems, 2 new batteries and 2 rectifiers later it's still dying over night. The most recent battery was fitted Friday last week, the charging fuse had blown so that's what we put the charging issue down to. I even had it sitting on a optimizer all weekend! No problem yesterday morning but this morning it struggled to turn the engine over. The only other possible reason for this mornings issue is that I tried starting with the lights on. The alarm is disconnected and I don't have any other accessories that could be draining the battery. Could it just be a combination of lights on and cold mornings? It's got that serious that I'm thinking of going Jap!!!
Old 28-Feb-2006, 15:31
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Cold weather kills batteries, you need to keep the room/garage warm, it could be many things to be honest but that's one to address straight away
Old 28-Feb-2006, 15:45
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Basic electronics would lead me to think somethings earthing your battery out, if they keep going flat so quickly.

Have you put a multimeter across it??

Mine's not been on a charger all winter and started once every other week (sometimes longer time periods), starting first time no probs.

I've also noticed I never need to use the choke on the Ducati, even in winter!!

You should really get in the habit of starting your bike with the lights off though.

PS: Jap bikes have the same problem so it wouldn't solve a lot.
Old 28-Feb-2006, 17:40
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Having the same trouble Animal. I had a new battery a couple of months ago but since this last few weeks of cold weather the bike has'nt started that well,even had to re charge the battery before I got it going . Give it a few degrees warmer and she fires up 1st time So I reckon the weather dont help . 996's are a big lump to turn over at the best of times but with the extra problem of cold oil,cold engine and a cold battery in a cold garage dont no if I would want to start 4D