Big Twin

748 TB restrictors

Anyone know if the restrictors in the 748 throttle bodies can be removed

and if so

1. How easy is it?
2. Is it worth it?
3. Is it really worth it?

Current state of the bike is

45mm Termi slipons, ITG filter, FIM chip and all setup on the dyno giving 93 BHP / 51.5lbs at the rear wheel when setup by Moto Rapido.

I'm looking to see where I can make some further power improvements before shelling out on an 853 kit this winter.

?????

Jason
Old 23-Jun-2004, 01:22
Big Twin

Restrictors in the throttle bodies?!!! Are you sure?!

First I've heard of it
Old 23-Jun-2004, 09:18
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Most of, but not all I believe, of the 748's throttle bodies are "sleeved" down to 45mm downwind of the throttle butterfly. It's 50mm upwind.
There maybe some gains to be had and the easiest way of doing it is to get some 916 throttles. The other way is of course to have the bore machined out.
Not sure where you'll get the gains but my guess would be top end at the expense of some low/mid range.
It's something that I'm planning for the big bore motor when I get around to it, but personally I'm happy to leave it whilst it's 748cc's.
If you wanted a bit more I'd think about getting the squish set and whilst your doing that, providing the clearance is there maybe using thinner base gaskets or even losing them to raise the compression a little.
A 50mm half system may be worth considering to. Seems to work ok on my bike and would stand you in good stead for the 853 kit.
Old 23-Jun-2004, 13:02
Big Twin

Cheers Nelly, I think I'd rather keep the midrange as most of my riding is on the road.

As for the squish and compression, I didn't see the sense in doing that before the 853 conversion as the pistons would be changed, and since the barrels have to come out for the big bore, timing reset etc I thought it best to get it done all at once. But I may be wrong..

I'll keep an eye out for a 50mm half system..

[Edited on 23-6-2004 by Mr_S]