Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 09-Apr-2012, 10:42
Mille
Bikes: M620ie, DD583R #30

Armpump explained by BSB Physio

There are some good tips at the end of this article to avoiding armpump injury. Don't think our racing is violent enough to generate the forces needed, but the cross section through a forearm is a reminder of how complex the wrist is. Several DD riders have finished racing after wrist damage.

http://www.backontrackphysio.org/page7.htm

pete

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power". Abraham Lincoln ...53 horse power should do it
Old 10-Apr-2012, 08:49
Mille

I'd never heard of this, so looked into it after Casey Stoner put his poor finishing laps performance at Qatar down to "Armpump", saying he could'nt feel how much pressure he was pulling on the front brake lever.

The article came off http://www.ductalk.com/, which has a daily Duc news following service, well worth subscribing to.

pete
Old 10-Apr-2012, 11:19
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
depends Pete - I've had it loads, but then trying to stop 23st from going over the front does add some stress! Even now, I think part of the reason I cant brake as late as some if stopping my bulk going forward and means my arms ache mid race...so I dont brake as hard or late
Old 10-Apr-2012, 13:58
Mille

Didn't know that paul, tried any of the suggestions at the end of the article?

pete
Old 10-Apr-2012, 14:20
MotoGP God

not read it yet, cant link at work?! Have a read later

reckon grippng tank with my knees woudl help, but monster tank not great for that.
Old 11-Apr-2012, 19:40
DSC Club Member
Mille

apparently stomp grip si good for protecting gonad injury etc,i did it the cheap way and went to band q and bought some draw silencer blobs £3.00 i think but they certainly help when things get a bit bouncy,(the end of revit straight being one noted swinger squasher !!)
Old 11-Apr-2012, 20:05
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummydave
apparently stomp grips good, I went to band q and bought some draw silencer blobs £3.00

What is it they say about Brummies

These were the tips-

1. Stay balanced, try to position your body weight so that the bike pushes you, rather than pulling you. Practice shifting your weight forward during acceleration, and shifting your weight back during braking. The main idea is to minimize the demands on your hands and teach you to keep your weight balanced.

2. It's all in the legs. Squeeze and maneuver the bike with your legs

3. Relax your grip, your arms, and your hands, and take a deep breath when you can.

4. Keep your equipment in check
You don't want your equipment to make you work harder than you need to, so be sure your suspension is properly setup. Bar position, lever position, grip compound should also be fine-tuned and individualized. You may find that you can stay more relaxed with your bars more forward, back, etc.

5. Get your blood flowing
Warm up before you go out on track. A quick jog through the pits or some other exercises to get your blood flowing will encourage circulation through the arms.

6. Stay hydrated

7. Breath!
Forgetting to breath while riding as silly as it may sound is among the most common causes of arm pump in beginner-level riders. Paying attention to your breathing will also help you relax.

8. Emphasize wrist curls with light weights and high repetitions, rather than heavier weights and low repetitions.

pete
Old 11-Apr-2012, 22:10
MotoGP God

On the 848 and race rep type bikes I just go with the nad crusher to reduce arm stress, alas on monster I end up over the tank and on the clocks!