Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Jul-2005, 12:12
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
New Brake Disc\'s

Anyone bought wavey brake disc's from the guy on e-bay he says they are new? and the feedback reads ok. I need some for my 996 and Moto Rapido quoted me silly money
Old 23-Jul-2005, 12:19
Dibble

i'm not a great fan of waveys but these seem reasonable

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...7757 048&rd=1

[Edited on 23-7-2005 by DIBBLE]
Old 23-Jul-2005, 15:15
Big Twin

They're a steal as they're around £150 each normally.

Wavey's are silly money, around £200+ each IIRC
Old 23-Jul-2005, 17:59
Big Twin

Dibble>

That's louigimoto. I got a pair off him (and 4-pad calipers too ), and they're a top job!
Old 25-Jul-2005, 23:06
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
waveys are available at £275 for a full set and pads from trade direct, ive seen their ads in mcn but not tried them yet, was hoping someone on here has and could offer a opinion.
Old 25-Jul-2005, 23:30
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Yeah, these discs are brand spankers and Louigi thinks they've come of Final Editions or disconintued models that have been stripped back down from the factory line.

They're mint, and sooooo cheap!

Tonio bought some for his DD bike too.
Old 30-Jul-2005, 09:47

Quote:
Originally posted by deej
waveys are available at £275 for a full set and pads from trade direct, ive seen their ads in mcn but not tried them yet, was hoping someone on here has and could offer a opinion.

As you guys over the other side of the pond call them Wavey Disks - Stateside we call them Wave Rotors....

In any event the Wavey Disks are the same ones being used by Team Ten Kate Honda and a few other teams out there. On a personal note the disks work on the principal of keeping your brakes cooler, by sending air in and out with the wave action as well as giving you better braking by adding my trailing edge braking. Most of the things I have read on the net talk about yes this no that, but race proven technology is no bull and it works. I would not replace any rotor unless you have extra money and are looking to upgrade your bike or have warped rotors. There is nothing wrong with your OEM rotors.

There will always be a naysayer out there, but then I ask do you have a set? Have you ridden on a set? If you liked the wavey disks, you should check out the superbike rotors that Galfer is making on a limited basis for racers. Based on the same concept as the wavey disks, but with even more power to stop.

When it comes to rotors you either get Ductile Iron, Stainless steel (different quality grades) or ceramic rotors.

Ceramic Rotors and Galfer superbike rotors are in a class by themselves costing upwards of $900.00 US - You can get Brembo OEM rotors for around $500.00 US.

Ductile Iron rotors like Braketechs - by the way Braketech does not manufacturer these and in fact are more like a distributor. I have considered putting my own name on some rotors made by the same guy and distributing - same quality - better price and no overhead. Back to the topic again. - You can get the Brembo iron rotors as well. The advantage of the iron rotors are that they have a good friction coefficient and work well. The disadvantage of these rotors are the rust, warpage and weight of them. They typically are heavier then regular or lightweight rotors, they rust which isn't a problem if you ride a lot, they are stamped which stresses the metal, but they stick. Can not use all brake pads with Iron rotors and limits the compounds you can use.

Stainless Steel Rotors - There are different grades of stainless so when you see a pair of Brembo OEM rotors warping it is due to mass production and using a lower quality sheet of stainless steel. The other issue with forging or stamping out rotors used in the process to make these rotors is that the metal will no be uniform and will have created stress areas by the stamping. (compressed metal - molecules are different inside the rotor)

Cryo treated metals are an advantage and Braking and Galfer both use this technology. Basically the cryonic treatment of rotors is to set the molecules evenly in a rotor. The technology has been used for many years in Nascar keepin their engines cooler by treating the whole motor. Less free expansion and the metals return to their original shape
Old 30-Jul-2005, 21:49
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
Thanks Go Gafer working for F1 Racing I completley understand what you say. As these are for road use only steel ones will be fine for me, mine are not badly warped but you can feel the lever moving in and out veryl slightly on heavy braking so I think I will try some of these wavey ones.

Mark
Old 31-Jul-2005, 08:36

Quote:
Originally posted by Road Runner
Thanks Go Gafer working for F1 Racing I completley understand what you say. As these are for road use only steel ones will be fine for me, mine are not badly warped but you can feel the lever moving in and out veryl slightly on heavy braking so I think I will try some of these wavey ones.

Mark

Hey Mark - I may have missed an earlier thread, but rather then buying new disks - have a go at beadblasting them or using wet sandpaper unless you are sure your rotors are toast.