Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 27-Jun-2005, 10:04
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati

aims for next time: qualify better
improve on 18th place
beat michael winter
be more aggresive on my passing.

so.............

qualified 18th as opposed to 20th
came 13th
beat michael winter
still not agressive enough on passing.

overall pleased with the weekends racing, really liked the longer race, although was quite pleased to have a break in the middle due to dave's unfortunate off.

qualified 18th but had i got my finger out a bit more, ie 0.5 second, would have been 12th on the grid. still it put me one row nearer the front than in my first races.

start was nothing special neither was my entry into the first bend, could have been alot more commited but survival reactions kick in and would rather get round than push for an extra place as people are all over the place on all sorts of lines. in future can everyone be a bit more predictable so i can use the line i want and gain a few places!

managed to gain a couple of places and come the restart was placed 16th on the new grid.

start was better as was first corner and again managed to gain a couple of places early on before getting caught behind nick and just couldn't get past him. i was quicker in a couple of places but not enough to make it stick and let myself down badly at the esses each lap (one of my worst bends on any circuit) where i just cant seem to get it right and nick is very good. was trying to line something up for the last lap but either didnt see the last lap flag or they didnt use one so as i was thinking about it the chequered flag came out. came 13th after a couple of the front runners had off's and one disqualification. so reasonably pleased. again could have been more agressive in trying to get past nick but he rode well and the only error he made into russell forced me off line too so i was unable to capitalise on it.

so 13th. still not where i want to be but going in the right direction and after having ECU problems with the bike only a week before and getting it back on the wednesday prior to the race was glad to be out there and running well.

feel much more confident as to where i can run now. there are people ahead of me that i know i can beat and will.

i have said before that i am a gradual improver and i hope it continues that way. others such as ali (superb race and a well deserved 3rd) and tp seem to be right up there straight away. could be quicker than me full stop but i would like to think i can close the gap.

really looking forward to donington even though i havnt ridden there yet. just looks like the sort of circuit that i will like and will suit me.

aims this time:

definitely qualify better than 18th.
be more agressive still out there.
finish..............top 10.

the finish is a big ask but its the next step and i am better than some of the people ahead of me. i just have to prove it.
Old 27-Jun-2005, 10:17
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

From what I saw at the weekend Dickie, youre only one late breaking overtake away from being up there in the top 10. Once you get one under your belt then they'll be no stopping you....
Old 27-Jun-2005, 11:20
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
13th - well done mate. Just keep working at it and you'll get there, it's the same ethos I'm using and it's working for me.

It's good to see you a bit happier with your results.

Old 15-Aug-2005, 11:21
BSB Star

how it can change from one race to the next....................

qualified 20th and got two 23rd places. hardly worth turning up really! were it not for the fact i know i can do so much better i would probably chuck it in. but the fact is i can and will go better. hopefully this will be my worst result ever.

taking the positives:

i have at least got my first wet races out of the way and was gaining in confidence towards the end.

i managed a couple of decent overtaking moves which is something i have been struggling with

IT IS GOING TO BE DRY AT BRANDS.

well done to all the guys who did so well up the front, commiserations to those that had off's, glad you are all relatively ok.
and thanks to all those who came to support. it really does make it worthwhile.
Old 15-Aug-2005, 11:29
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Oh yes, hopefully it will be dry at Brands. Cause I'm not gonna buy any new tyres anyway

I feel like you Dickie, I hope this weekend to be my worst ever result: a DNF and a 26/26 position
Old 15-Aug-2005, 13:08
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Quote:
qualified 20th and got two 23rd places. hardly worth turning up really!

Just making up the numbers eh!?! From someone who is a regular in those positions - Cheers buddy!
Old 15-Aug-2005, 13:11
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by psychlist
Quote:
qualified 20th and got two 23rd places. hardly worth turning up really!

Just making up the numbers eh!?! From someone who is a regular in those positions - Cheers buddy!

well someones got to be, i just dont want it to be me!
Old 15-Aug-2005, 13:43
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Unlike those that pushed their luck too far or were taken out by same, you DID finish low down the order!

Oh dear what a shame, that means you're now officially circulating with the rest of us that you so casually and insensitively dismiss as "Making up the numbers"! Shame on you
Old 15-Aug-2005, 14:34
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by psychlist
Oh dear what a shame, that means you're now officially circulating with the rest of us that you so casually and insensitively dismiss as "Making up the numbers"! Shame on you

never actually said people in those postions were making up the numbers.

it was still 'hardy' worth it though when i was looking for alot more.

am i happy finishing where i did ? no
was it a lot of time, money and effort for little return? yes
will i apologise for wanting to do better? no
do i think anyone who has the balls to go racing is making up the numbers? certainly not.
Old 12-Sep-2005, 09:59
BSB Star

brands report...........

much better for me, qualified a best of season 10th which i was well happy with. for once i thought i did myself justice in qualifying and could have gone a bit quicker with a clear track.

kind of thought i would throw my good grid postition away at the start of each race, which i duely did. my starts are ok but i lose out on the first couple of bends. i now know why this is and will sort it out.

finished 13th in race 1 and 16th in race 2.

bit dissapointed losing places but at least i know why and still my best performance of the season. enjoyed some good overtaking and race 2 in particular was great fun. even non biking friends spectating said it looked like proper close racing; being overtaken then taking them back etc.

still lots to learn but im sorting out some problems and coming upon others but improving all the time and i recon its getting more competitive so overall im happy.

still looking for the elusive top 10. brands really was my chance with my qualifying position but i'll keep at it. cadwell maybe?

negative points

- sorry to see another rider (tp) have an off and get injured; hope you mend soon tony.
- bike failures, in particular to ali's bike, and also to lins in race one.

plus points

- tremendous support from DSC members, thanks to all who came and hope you enjoyed the racing.
- ducati uk being in attendance, great publicity for the series and ducati as a whole. how good did that look at a club meeting

and last; but definitely not least; congratulations to Geoff Spencer, the first Desmodue champion. supremely consistant great riding, thourougly well deserved.

dont know of your plans for next year Geoff but would love to see you out there with the no.1 plate.