Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Jun-2006, 07:40
Bevel Head

its just been serviced and the oil is at the correct level i notice sometimes it flickers on idle so i think its the switch that has gone ill sort it out after the moto gp weekender cheers for the help
Old 29-Jun-2006, 16:26
Mille

check the switch...

mine was running at 150mph with the head cracked and the the main crank bearing knackered (when they open the cranckcases the bearing had no textolite cage anymore and the balls were moving freely in the bearing)... and if you can imagine, then engine was sounding so sweet!!!!

i don't want to scare you, but mine's a real experience that began with a question such as yourself... "why is the oil light flickering under hard acceleration?"

anyway, you shouldn't take one isolate experience as a general one

Good luck

Last edited by CipiVTS : 30-Jun-2006 at 11:26.
Old 29-Jun-2006, 16:26
Mille

check the switch...

mine was running at 150mph with the head cracked and the the main crank bearing knackered (when they open the cranckcases the bearing had no textolite cage anymore and the balls were moving freely in the bearing)... and if you can imagine, then engine was sounding so sweet!!!!

i don't want to scare you, but mine's a real experience that began with a question such as yourself... "why is the oil light flickering under hard acceleration?"

anyway, you shouldn't take one isolate experience as a general one

Good luck

Last edited by CipiVTS : 30-Jun-2006 at 11:25.
Old 29-Jun-2006, 17:39
Bevel Head

ok cracked head how much will that cost to replace ?? parts and labour ?? will a compression test tell me if the head is cracked or does it have to be stripped?
Old 29-Jun-2006, 18:08
DaveB916

Calm down, don't panic.............lol.......

I do not think for one moment it will be the head, just start at the beginning and check levels, sender etc.

I changed the oil on my old Senna last week, I noted on re-filling her she took less oil than usual but the level was perfect even after running the engine and yet 2 days later the oil suddenly settled and she needed a good top up.

If it does turns out to be a head I have 2 completely refurbished ones heres complete and ready to fit. New guides, valves, rockers etc. Drop me a PM if you get desperate.
Old 29-Jun-2006, 19:00
Bevel Head

thing is it was flickering before i had it serviced and when they serviced it they said i had good compression in both cylinders my water sytem kept pressurisin but that was due to the cap being faulty all tho it did do it again the other day
Old 29-Jun-2006, 20:50
Mille

Mood: good
If the engine has "gone" ie, big end, bearings, shells, whatever, then the engine should sound different, slightly more rattly than normal!! You might not notice any power difference till the engine really lets go.

But that is all worst case scenario... Lots of people seem to fix it with the oil switch thingy
Old 30-Jun-2006, 11:27
Mille

i changed the engine to a 916 on mine