Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Jun-2006, 19:57
Bevel Head

oil light on rev counter

i notice under hard acceleration on 1st 2nd and 3rd the little red light flicks on i been told that this aint a oil level indicator but a oil pressure light i have to correct amount of oil in my 748 is it normal for it to come on or is something up im using Castrol GP4 oil
Old 24-Jun-2006, 20:16
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
its often the sender unit that is faulty
pull out the wires have a look down the hole , if theres oil in there it's on it's way out
Old 24-Jun-2006, 20:51
Dibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul748bp
i notice under hard acceleration on 1st 2nd and 3rd the little red light flicks on i been told that this aint a oil level indicator but a oil pressure light i have to correct amount of oil in my 748 is it normal for it to come on or is something up im using Castrol GP4 oil

its also the classic early signs of an oil pressure switch failing, its down by your right foot, about 15 quid for a replacement if i remember rightly ...
Old 24-Jun-2006, 20:56
Bevel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn
its often the sender unit that is faulty
pull out the wires have a look down the hole , if theres oil in there it's on it's way out

hole ?????

what hole is that ?
Old 24-Jun-2006, 21:22
Ducati Meccanica

the hole in the top of the sender unit that the wires plugs in to
it's next to where you put the oil in.
Old 27-Jun-2006, 09:58
Mille

Hi, on my 2000 748 i had the same problem in 1st,2nd and 3rd at ~7000 rpm, red light flickering. Measured the oil pressure and everything was ok. Changed the oil switch and still did the same.

I removed the oil and its colour was brown-caffe-latte. Practically i had water in the oil because of a cracked head on the vertical cylinder.

Hope you don't have the same problem... try by changing the oil switch
Old 27-Jun-2006, 13:02
Big Twin

Paul>
I do believe Glyn and Dibble are talking about the same thing.
Old 28-Jun-2006, 22:26
Bevel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CipiVTS
Hi, on my 2000 748 i had the same problem in 1st,2nd and 3rd at ~7000 rpm, red light flickering. Measured the oil pressure and everything was ok. Changed the oil switch and still did the same.

I removed the oil and its colour was brown-caffe-latte. Practically i had water in the oil because of a cracked head on the vertical cylinder.

Hope you don't have the same problem... try by changing the oil switch
if the head is craked wont i lose power ???? the other day i had 170 on the clock lol yes i no thats not guna be true but it looked great the bike seems powerfull threw past exsperience when ur head is damaged power is lost but i have the problem of water getting pressurised i really hope my cylinders arnt cracked but if they are how much will it cost to repair ????????? eeeeeeeeeek
Old 28-Jun-2006, 22:55
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Don't worry about the complex stuff like cracked cylinder heads until you've checked out the simple stuff first...

Are you SURE that the oil level is OK? You say the light flickers on under hard acceleration, that might be because the oil level is marginal and the pressure might be dropping if the oil surges away from the pump pickup...just a thought.

Could also mean that you need an oil change, when was the oil last changed? Oil does break down under the pressure, heat of the engine and becomes thinner with age so the lack of pressure could be down to oil that's past it's best.

If anything is broken t's far more likely to be the oil pressure switch (which will only cost about £30 to swap over) than a cracked cylinder head.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to be doing an indicated 170 with any doubts at all about the oil pressure...not without one hand on the clutch anyway.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 28-Jun-2006, 23:10
Ducati Meccanica

swap the switch
change the oil
if that don't work, get it checked over