Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Feb-2005, 10:14
Mille

Sorry its taken so long to reply to ducsoon? Query about the 999 having no advantages.
Annette absolutely loves riding the 999 but I dont think she would swap her 996sps for it. It took most of last summer for me to feel comfortable on the bike,it may be in my head but the front end felt remote and I coudnt commit as hard going into corners. The 999 is definately easier to ride on the road and may lap at the same pace as the 998 with less rider effort but if you cant trust the front end you end up going slower than you could. 180 miles on the 998 results in slight stiffeness in my kneck and knees both due to old injuries, the 999 is literally a pain in the butt after about 40 mph (and i have adequate personal padding).
The 999 has a multitude of advantages for ducati as a manufacturer, it was designed to be assembled from sub assemblies and the elecrical system is cheaper to manufacture and install. When ridden It is less prone to wheelie under power and the rear doesnt lift as much on hard braking but this may be due to the fact the factory set them up very flat with a low rear ride height.
personally I prefer the iconic shape of the 998 but that has nothing to do with my preferences, the 998 is in my opinion a safer road bike (mirrors!! on the 999) and for me a better track bike.

Its horses for courses, the only way to find what fits you personally is to badger a dealer into test rides on a 998 and a 999

dave spreading confusion with every phrase!!
Old 08-Feb-2005, 10:49
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVE HARRIS
. 180 miles on the 998 results in slight stiffeness in my kneck and knees both due to old injuries, the 999 is literally a pain in the butt after about 40 mph (and i have adequate personal padding).

loads of people complain about ducati's being a pain in the arse but i've never found this, and to be fair if you're riding for 180 miles with your arse in one position you're not riding a ducati where it is best: either in the twisties or on track.
Old 08-Feb-2005, 11:06
888 at Last !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVE HARRIS
Sorry its taken so long to reply to ducsoon? Query about the 999 having no advantages.
Annette absolutely loves riding the 999 but I dont think she would swap her 996sps for it. It took most of last summer for me to feel comfortable on the bike,it may be in my head but the front end felt remote and I coudnt commit as hard going into corners. The 999 is definately easier to ride on the road and may lap at the same pace as the 998 with less rider effort but if you cant trust the front end you end up going slower than you could. 180 miles on the 998 results in slight stiffeness in my kneck and knees both due to old injuries, the 999 is literally a pain in the butt after about 40 mph (and i have adequate personal padding).
The 999 has a multitude of advantages for ducati as a manufacturer, it was designed to be assembled from sub assemblies and the elecrical system is cheaper to manufacture and install. When ridden It is less prone to wheelie under power and the rear doesnt lift as much on hard braking but this may be due to the fact the factory set them up very flat with a low rear ride height.
personally I prefer the iconic shape of the 998 but that has nothing to do with my preferences, the 998 is in my opinion a safer road bike (mirrors!! on the 999) and for me a better track bike.

Its horses for courses, the only way to find what fits you personally is to badger a dealer into test rides on a 998 and a 999

dave spreading confusion with every phrase!!

Thanks for your views on this.
It seems to me that the 999 is more stable, or at least has a more stable front end. Perhaps that why the front end felt remote to you.
I have to admite i've never even rode a Duc, but a friend of mine recently sold his 996 SPS and got a 04 R1 and he complained he didn't felt the front end.
Tell me, in terms of flickability do you notice any difference between the 998 and the 999???

You're right i'l have to try both before i decide.
Old 08-Feb-2005, 12:37
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by DucSoon?
Thanks for your views on this.
It seems to me that the 999 is more stable, or at least has a more stable front end. Perhaps that why the front end felt remote to you.
I have to admite i've never even rode a Duc, but a friend of mine recently sold his 996 SPS and got a 04 R1 and he complained he didn't felt the front end.
Tell me, in terms of flickability do you notice any difference between the 998 and the 999???

You're right i'l have to try both before i decide.

Dude, it sounds like you need to get out on both and see how you get on. Bearing in mind that both of your choices have extremely adjustable suspension so if it's not quite to your taste then you can get the suspension setup just for you. I would recommend doing this regardless of your choice, it just gives you so much more confidence.

For example, I have a W reg 996 and after a little while of riding it I just couldn't get on with the front end. It felt remote and like it was pushing. This was due to bad suspension setup and the front tyre scalloping (which was again down to the suspension setup). I took the bike to HM Racing in Kent on the recommendation from a few others here on the board and they found that the rear shock was leaking and not providing enough rebound damping so they rebuilt it, they replaced the rear spring because it was too hard (it's a bip) and adjusted the front suspension.

I was at a point where I was really not very happy with the handling of the bike and starting to think about getting something else but now it feels awesome. Goes where I want it to go, great front end feedback and turns nicely.

Now I just need to have the same done to my 'wee' monster! It handles like a small boat!
Old 08-Feb-2005, 12:57
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Its gotta be the 998R - or even better the 996R!!!

Ducati have attempted to go to mass market appeal with the 999 and have by any reasoned, independant view, missed!

The 999 is built at a cheaper budget, using less parts than the 998 type and has been built to appease a fickle market place that is driven by a perceived need to want ride the latest and greatest technology every year.

Ducati had to evolve, economics and market pressures determined that - but if you want the latest and greatest superbike, you go look at the Japanese offerings (yep - I've done that).

But if you want emotion, soul and a reluctant envy from every other motorbike rider, get the archetypal 916.

The 996R is the best of this breed, but settle if you must for the 998R.

Tim
Old 08-Feb-2005, 13:02
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Quote:
Originally posted by beancounter
Ducati tried to replace the 916/748 with the 999/749 but they were crap and nobody bought them. Wouldn't it be great if they brought the 916/748 back ?

Actually , the first year of 999 production outsold the last year of 998 production

It just seems like the new shape bikes arn't selling as well because of how many 916 shape bikes there are due to 10 years of production

I personally like both shapes about the same , but my 749R is technically years ahead of my old 748R and much higher spec , which would you have ?
Old 08-Feb-2005, 13:35
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
Its gotta be the 998R - or even better the 996R!!!

Ducati have attempted to go to mass market appeal with the 999 and have by any reasoned, independant view, missed!

The 999 is built at a cheaper budget, using less parts than the 998 type and has been built to appease a fickle market place that is driven by a perceived need to want ride the latest and greatest technology every year.

Ducati had to evolve, economics and market pressures determined that - but if you want the latest and greatest superbike, you go look at the Japanese offerings (yep - I've done that).

But if you want emotion, soul and a reluctant envy from every other motorbike rider, get the archetypal 916.

The 996R is the best of this breed, but settle if you must for the 998R.

Tim

Tim

You must be the 996R's biggest fan.
Old 08-Feb-2005, 13:38
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
Mr. Egg,

There will always be some demand for the highest spec models produced by Ducati, latterly the SPS and now R bikes.

However the 'cooking' 999s and 749s have been a huge sales disappointment for Ducati (as Rattler states) - I don't think anyone disputes this ?
Old 08-Feb-2005, 13:43
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
:

Tim

You must be the 996R's biggest fan.

I am, I was drooling over yours only yesterday!!! Handbuilt engines, world championship winning, rarer than a Desmo Due tyre decision!! - fabulous. Wanna sell it?

Yours just needs a good clean!! Oh yeh, and some forks!!!

Tim
Old 08-Feb-2005, 13:59
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
I am with Tim and love the 996r, truly the dream ducati as far as I am concerned.