Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 04-May-2004, 18:30
Mille

Sorry - wrong section but...........

I need max exposure for some quick responses.

Just had a call from the garage where my 01 748S is being serviced. It needs a new Chain and Sprocket set.

My question is, would I benefit from lowering the gearing by upping the teeth on the rear?

Has anyone done this out there? I have done a search but cannot find a definitive answer for the 748S.

They have to order the set in and I want to phone them first thing tomorrow to let them know if I want to change from the standard set-up. Hopefully avoid messing them about.

The thought only came to me after the shop had shut for the day.

Any quick advice much appreciated.

Churz - Jacko.
Old 04-May-2004, 18:38
888 at Last !!!

Loadsa people done it. Don't know about best combination of front & rear sprockets but long and short of it is -

1. choose whether to change the front sprocket (down on teeth) or rear sprocket (up on teeth) or both

&

2. choose whether to get a quick change sprocket carrier for rear or stay with fixed carrier & sprocket.

I'm sure the 748 boyz /gurlz will help you on sprocket options.
Old 04-May-2004, 18:50
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Go for it....I love having more accleration over ultimate top-end - which having said that how often (and where!) can you use it these days anyway.
Old 04-May-2004, 18:57
Big Twin

wot he said - no point having 165mph top end if it takes a couple of miles to get there!

Knock it down 1 on the front (if its a 15 - DONT goto a 13 as it stresses the chain too much) or put 3 or 4 on the rear (this will require extra chain links, but they are putting a new chain on so no bother )
Old 04-May-2004, 19:07
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

A stock 748s has a 14-tooth front sprocket and a 38-tooth rear sprocket, with a 94-link 520 chain.

A popular choice, that I recommend, for 7XX models is a 14-tooth front with a 41-tooth rear that will require a 96-link chain. The set-up will raise your ride height a little (4mm) which will improve the bike's cornering.
Old 04-May-2004, 22:19
Mille

Cheers guys! Once again, quality advice comes forth.

I always understood the principles behind lowering the gearing, just wasn't sure whether it was that beneficial to actually do it.

Thanks again.
Jacko.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit