Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Feb-2006, 19:21
Bevel Head

Mood: Flatulent
Open clutch covers

I was wondering - what precautions or other 'expenses' should i factor in when changing to a vented cover? Do i need stainless bits'n'bobs (eg springs) fancy friction plates etc? or is it really as simple as swapping covers. I'm just thinking of the open-to-elements internals and don't want to cause excess wear and tear.

I must also say how good this site is after several months perusing. A proper enthusiasts site and a fountain of knowledge. Not many like it on the 'net i can tell you

Cheers,
Russell.
Old 12-Feb-2006, 19:29
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
just swap the covers job done stainless springs coloured pressure plates etc pointless bling nice bling none the less
Old 12-Feb-2006, 19:33
Dibble

It'll be fine, just swop covers, the only thing is the orginal pressure plate is an ugly thing .... and the original bolts, top hats and springs just go furry and look awful, still all works ok though ...

Or spend some real money and do this ....

Old 12-Feb-2006, 19:35
Ducati Corse

Your only concern might be what happens if the bike goes down on the right hand side....
Old 12-Feb-2006, 19:36
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Quote:
Originally posted by greenmachine
I was wondering - what precautions or other 'expenses' should i factor in when changing to a vented cover? Do i need stainless bits'n'bobs (eg springs) fancy friction plates etc? or is it really as simple as swapping covers. I'm just thinking of the open-to-elements internals and don't want to cause excess wear and tear.

I must also say how good this site is after several months perusing. A proper enthusiasts site and a fountain of knowledge. Not many like it on the 'net i can tell you

Cheers,
Russell.

Changing the cover is really easy, just take the standard one off, out the new one on.

Some Ducatis come with a rubber type gasket that sits behine the clutch cover, if yours has got this you may need to keep it on if you are using an after market clutch pressure plate as these can vary in overall thickness.

Or you could space the cover out with a few thin alloy spaces/washers. Only really a problem if the after market pressure plate hits the open clutch cover when being used.

You can add new stainless clutch springs and caps but this is pure bling and to stop any rust if these bits get wet.

DC.
Old 12-Feb-2006, 19:36
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by DIBBLE
It'll be fine, just swop covers, the only thing is the orginal pressure plate is an ugly thing .... and the original bolts, top hats and springs just go furry and look awful, still all works ok though ...

Or spend some real money and do this ....

Nice clutch cover Dibble..................................
Old 12-Feb-2006, 19:38
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
Your only concern might be what happens if the bike goes down on the right hand side....

Too true.
Some after market pressure plates are deeper where the springs are situated, so possibly protecting these in an off on the clutch side.
Old 12-Feb-2006, 20:19
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

definitely put spacers in or you can find springs will extend and hit outer cover (this becomes more the case as springs age - expect huge technical view on whether or not this really happens - but it has been known.

Also, don't use stainless springs if you have any from of race clutch lightweight, slipper or four post. They just ain't up to it.
GTL

definitely put spacers in or you can find springs will extend and hit outer cover (this becomes more the case as springs age - expect huge technical view on whether or not this really happens - but it has been known.

Also, don't use stainless springs if you have any from of race clutch lightweight, slipper or four post. They just ain't up to it.
GTL