Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
View Poll Results: Do you have a slipper clutch?
Yes... I need one when racing! 1 4.35%
Yes... but I don't think I really need one. 3 13.04%
No... you don't need one on a DD bike. 12 52.17%
No... but I would like one. 5 21.74%
Other (Please specify) 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-Sep-2006, 23:29
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

DD - Slipper Clutches

Do you have a slipper clutch on your DESMODUE bike?

I think we have one of those APTC clutches, but thats not a 'slipper' is it??? ******ed if I notice it making a difference anyway...

Quote:
The APTC clutch, developed exclusively for Ducati, makes the 620 even friendlier, safer and more comfortable. This unique system provides clutch lever pull that is amazingly light, while it also assists in reducing abrupt downshifts that can produce destabilising rear wheel chatter. The clutch, as well as the lowered seat, make this an ideal bike for women too.

Last edited by domski : 08-Sep-2006 at 23:37.
Old 08-Sep-2006, 23:30
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
NO, but I use the back tyre instead

Andy
Old 09-Sep-2006, 07:28
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Quote:
The clutch, as well as the lowered seat, make this an ideal bike for women too.

Ha, excellent. A bit of non PC Italian, greasy, dago, Guinea wop press blurb.

Should have read like this though.

"The weeemin, they are..ow do you saaiy....too leeetle and sheeet weeth the controls to ride a bike weethout asseeestance, no?"

At least it makes it clear why I could get on one and not do too badly straight away. I'm off to get me nails done and buy a new feather boa today.
Old 09-Sep-2006, 08:30
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otei

At least it makes it clear why I could get on one and not do too badly straight away. I'm off to get me nails done and buy a new feather boa today.

Nice to see your femenin side coming out Tim, must be that nice hat you have to wear at work.

Chris
Old 09-Sep-2006, 09:13
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
we have the aptc slipper in our 620 which does seem to cause a problems on lauch with a judder when pulling away hard.
Both Andy and Mark noticed this.
But when I asked Andy if he wanted me to remove it, he said no, because you only pull away once in a race - but on every corner on the downshift he found you could bang it down through the gearbox without it making the back end squirm too much although he said he could still back it into a corner.

I rode it at the Cadwell TD and comparing it with the 583 found it a lot more stable when going into Park corner for example

Personally I like it, and so do my riders but we just to overcome the slippage which both Chass & I seem to have suffered with at times.

Obviously we would prefer a full slipper but only Sigma does one for the wet clutch bikes but this is out of our budget at the moment (this is not an advert for them )
Old 09-Sep-2006, 09:42
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
a slipper clutch is that when my fingers slip off the lever?
Old 09-Sep-2006, 09:56
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK
we have the aptc slipper in our 620 which does seem to cause a problems on lauch with a judder when pulling away hard.
Both Andy and Mark noticed this.
But when I asked Andy if he wanted me to remove it, he said no, because you only pull away once in a race - but on every corner on the downshift he found you could bang it down through the gearbox without it making the back end squirm too much although he said he could still back it into a corner.

I rode it at the Cadwell TD and comparing it with the 583 found it a lot more stable when going into Park corner for example

Personally I like it, and so do my riders but we just to overcome the slippage which both Chass & I seem to have suffered with at times.

Obviously we would prefer a full slipper but only Sigma does one for the wet clutch bikes but this is out of our budget at the moment (this is not an advert for them )

Louigi made his own from a works dry slipper clever bloke.
Old 09-Sep-2006, 10:34
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Not found the need for a slipper, the bike behaves itself nicely on the downshifts.
Although there was one occassion where i went down one too many going into Paddock Hill this year and the back stepped out... dunno if a slipper would've gaurded against that, but what did prevent it happening again was just to not hit the downchange too many times again!
Old 10-Sep-2006, 22:19
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
I remember the days when good riders had a technique to blip the throttle on downshifts, rather than relying on ramps and balls - but then again I'm an old fart.
Anyhow, stamping down on the little lever sticking out of the left hand casing seems to work for me - but there again I have no ramps and definitely no balls....

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 10-Sep-2006, 22:26
Mille

I have one of them there Sigma slippa clutches on my old 5 speed 620SS (aptc not an opption without going to a 6 speed cluster).
I'm old school and blip the throttle on downshifts (while applying 10/10th braking etc) but do find the slipper helps to stabilise the bike. Especially usefull in tricky situations ie., braking downhill / over bumps, while changing direction etc.