Old 06-Sep-2004, 18:13
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
MOT Failure

Just had the ST4s in for it's first MOT today. Failed on 2 counts:

1. Front wheel bearing.
2. Headlight beam too high.

1. I can accept, the bike has done 12300 miles.
2. The headlight has not been touched since build. Also I had the front suspension dropped by 10mm when I first got the bike, so it must have been way out when delivered. Worth bearing in mind if your bike is due it's first MOT.

Old 07-Sep-2004, 10:02
Mille

Did they have to fail it on the headlight beam??? You would have thought any half decent assessor would have just got out there trusty screwdriver and lowered it appropriately - all of 5 seconds work! Just noticed the front bearings on the ST2 are gone, any idea if aftermarket bearings are cheaper/better or just go with the OEM??
Old 07-Sep-2004, 16:31
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulC
Just noticed the front bearings on the ST2 are gone, any idea if aftermarket bearings are cheaper/better or just go with the OEM??

The bearings have reference Nos stamped on the sides (e.g.6005). Note the numbers and go to your local bearing supplier. They are usually much cheaper. I'm surprised at them only lasting such low mileages, the ones on my SS have done over 30K and are still OK.
Old 07-Sep-2004, 17:01
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
I'd say definately go to a local bearing shop. They're dirt cheap by comparison and at least as good. The bike shop tried to stitch me for over £20 a side for wheel bearings on t'blade, but a local engineering shop had same spec on the shelf for £5!

As for the lights.... couple of years back my jap thing failed on light aim. The dude just wanted to send me away with a failure sheet! After much foot-stamping and arm waving, he adjusted them for FIVE QUID!!!
Old 07-Sep-2004, 20:32
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
bearings are pretty cheap i think?
had both the front and back done
think there about £8 each
don't think these were
nelly sorted out the rear set when they failed near nottingham, on the way to cadwell for the track day.
and a few weeks kater mike davis did the front when i had some new tyres fitted.
just coming up to 16k
Old 07-Sep-2004, 20:54
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulC
Did they have to fail it on the headlight beam??? You would have thought any half decent assessor would have just got out there trusty screwdriver and lowered it appropriately - all of 5 seconds work!

My ST failed through having a faulty rear brake light switch (OK, fair cop, it had seized 'cos I never use the back brake).

But... it also failed through having a loose petrol tank The assessor wouldn't listen, wouldn't take the tank pad off and look for himself, I had to take the tank pad off when I took it back in to show him that the rear of the tank has a pin hinge and the front is held down by a rubber strap
Old 08-Sep-2004, 09:45
Ducati Corse

Blimey Jools!

I dont think its quite a five minute job to adjust the headlight though - i think the top fairing has to come off. To someone who hasnt done it before that could take a while to do.

My old Skoda's MOT was due in December and everytime it used to fail cos the windscreen washers didnt work. The engine was in the boot and washees never got warm enough to unfreeze. Aditives just were not strong enough without the extra warmth of the engine. I used to take it home and pour a kettle of hot water over them then go straight back.

On my old Mini they also let me sit in the car while they tested the brakes. Hand brake was a bit iffy so i'd be pulling with two hands on the lever while putting my whole weight on the pedal as well.
Old 08-Sep-2004, 10:34
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Quote:
I dont think its quite a five minute job to adjust the headlight though - i think the top fairing has to come off. To someone who hasnt done it before that could take a while to do.

Height adjustment needs nothing removing - sit on the bike, 8mm socket on a driver & twiddle....
Left / right, you need to remove the right hand grey panel adjacent to the clocks to get at the adjuster.

Maybe seven minutes is more realistic...........
Old 08-Sep-2004, 11:09
Ducati Corse

Fair enough! Still, if you didnt know about it...
Old 08-Sep-2004, 18:32
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
MOT Pass

Am now street legal and £80 light of pocket (Inc MOT fees).

Here are a few new MOT regs that came in this year.

1. Number plates:- Have to be square with letters and numbers of equal dimension and spacing, in two rows. Letterbox number plates will result in a fail. There is no size stipulation for the plate, just that it is square. The letters and numbers on the plate must be of equal thickness.

2. Frame numbers are now also part of the test. It is a requirement that the tester checks both the frame number and vehicle identification (VIN)

3. Fuel system:- detailed check for any sign of fuel leakage or patched up work on the fuel delivery system. Any bodging = fail.

and finally a little snippet about exhausts.

The exhaust system must be complete, secure and not too noisy (and that is for the tester to interpret). The exhaust must not have any markings like "Not for road use" or "Trackday use only". However, if such markings were to be accidentally covered by a sticker then the tester is not allowed to remove said sticker. They are not allowed to alter the bike in ANY WAY whilst conducting the test.