Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Jun-2003, 14:25
Mille

Mood: what a day, a year, a life it's been
Leakproof Fork Seals

I have a small leak on my 600SS forks - AGAIN. I can't understand this. Every year, just before the MOT, the right-hand leg weeps oil. Dealer fixed it once, since then I have fixed it twice. No signs of chips or marks on the slider.

Im thinking of trying "leakproof" seals - anyone had any experience of them?
Old 21-Jun-2003, 05:25
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
The seals on the wifes 750 Monster are just the same.I changed them about a year ago and noticed the r/h side leg is leaking again.She has only done about 1500 miles since last year.I think the problem is with the Marzzochi forks,I heard that the seals that were origionally fitted were the wrong size!I have bought a new set of seals and will fit them this weekend.Hopefully they will last a bit longer.
BTW,Some bikes were fitted with Paoli forks,which were a lot better.
Old 21-Jun-2003, 20:00
Mille

I thought the seals were a bit too easy to fit over the slider - they seem very loose. Maybe they are the wrong size!

I've found a source of the leakproof moly seals in the UK and I'm going to try them.
Old 24-Jun-2003, 11:02

The leakproof ones are just double lipped seals. If you but a any decent set of aftermarket seals they should be fine.

Should have 2 lipps and a proper spring in them.

Kev
Old 14-Jul-2003, 17:34
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
I dont believe it.

The new seals have lasted a month!
When Maria pulled into the drive after the GP,I noticed some oil on the front of the bike.The L/H seal had completely blown and oil was dripping out of the dust seal.The R/H was weeping and looks like it may do the same soon.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!
Old 15-Jul-2003, 20:04

must be something wrong with the forks then, The tubes are ok no scratches or chips.

Are you overfilling it with oil.

Must be a reason why, just need to find it out.
Old 20-Jul-2003, 16:18
Mille

Update of fork seals

OK. Got some pro-moly seals from Motohaus marketing (good service). The new seals are the same size as the oem seals but require you to use an additional washer on top of the seal and instructions say there must be 0.5mm float. Well, there would be NO float even without the additional washer. After looking at things closely, I removed the thick oem washer and relaced in with one supplied in the kit (much thinner). Then on went the seal, then the other (thin) washer supplied in the kit. This left about 0.5mm float. Re-assembling the forks I noticed that the stanctions were a very tight fit through the new seal (so much so that I was worried about the forks sticking down). Now all re-assembled it seems to work fine. I'll report back in a while - but I wont be able to do many miles yet as my regulator has just gone! Damn damn damn! It's just one thing after another.

[Edited on 20-7-2003 by Graham M]
Old 20-Jul-2003, 16:47
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
One thing after another?

Stick with it Graham, it'll be worth it in the long run mate!

Old 25-Jul-2003, 19:41
Mille

More seal woes

Well, I don't believe it! I haven't used the bike for a while as I was waiting for the regulator. Fitted that last night and wheeled the bike out tonight in preparation for tomorrows MOT - AND THE FORK LEG HAS FLUID ON IT! Despite my checking the fork leg there HAS to be a fault with it.
Old 25-Jul-2003, 21:30
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I seem to vagely remember an American company (Bel-ray ???) used to sell fork oil that contained a component to make fork seal "swell" and seal correctly.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

Is it possible that there has been some wear on the slider somewhere so that the tube is not completely circular and true? Or that there is internal wear that allows the slider to move forward and back slightly???????????????????

Good luck - Frank