Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Nov-2004, 07:55
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Catalytic Exhausts

Europe spec'ed ST4's have catalytic mufflers, b ut the US ones don't. Are there any suppliers who provide compatible mufflers and does this require changes in tuning. Don't need anything as loud as Termis, but would like to have something a little more formidable than stock if possible (and if I buy an ST4S).
Old 09-Nov-2004, 13:52
Mille

I assume you mean you want replacement pipes that ditch the catalytic convertor. If so there are numerous posts on this, but I if you go to the second page of posts you will find a couple. There are a couple of different makes that come with a removable baffle so you can adjust your noise level to what you want (Sil, Staintune etc). Going from standard to non-standard pipes will require a changed fuel chip to get the most from them, not essential but definately worthwhile.
Old 09-Nov-2004, 14:05
Ducati Corse

I beg to differ Paul, if you change the pipes then changing the chip is essential as it getting the bike correctly set up afterwards.

Ah just thought, do the current ST4S's have the latest ECU which you cant do anything with - you have to change the whole ECU? Mucho dollars...
Old 09-Nov-2004, 15:24
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Thanks Messrs Paul. Sorry I wasn't clearer on original post. Aftermarket is what I am looking for, but is anyone doing catalytic aftermarket mufflers. If not, I would suspect that a chip wouold have to be changed, but if Europe specs are stringent, then maybe the chips can't be changed anymore. In Japan, I think they are selling Euro spec bikes, though grey market may be US specs.
Old 09-Nov-2004, 16:02
Ducati Corse

Bikes are not tested for emissions in the UK so i doubt very mush of anyone is making aftermarket systems with a CAT!

I think the ECU on the later bikes doesnt use an EPROM like the earlier ones did so you need a special ducati ECU or perhaps a PC3?
Old 09-Nov-2004, 16:14
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Not necessarily.
I have Silmoto 86db carbon oval pipes on mine.
No silly cats.......
Nice rumble but not too loud.
They run fine when the ecu is tweeked by someone with the correct software like Nelly has!
Old 09-Nov-2004, 18:27
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally posted by Rushjob
Not necessarily.
I have Silmoto 86db carbon oval pipes on mine.
No silly cats.......
Nice rumble but not too loud.
They run fine when the ecu is tweeked by someone with the correct software like Nelly has!

Gotta agree with Rushjob re fuelling, when i got my ST4S i ordered a set of pipes then sat back for about 6 months whilst Ducati finally got round to producing them.

Was originally told that kit would cost nearly a grand but included a new ECU and air filter. When they eventually turned up there was no ECU and dealer adjusted the fuelling. Big plus point was that it was also £300 cheaper as well.

I was a little cynical that fuelling would be correct but did before and after dyno runs and everything was perfect.

STILL GOT SET OF BEAUTIFUL PIPES AND AIR FILTER TO FIT ST2/4/4S FOR SALE. hint, hint.