Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Nov-2004, 03:55
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

ST4S

As some of you may know, I am thinking of trading in my trusty 750SS for a new ST4S. However, there are so many 2003 and 2004 models in stock here that the 2005 models will be left over 2004's. Besides the increase in power to 121 PS, there is the new oil bath clutch. Are there any other major changes. I have had goodluck with my oil bath on the SS, but have heard nasty stories of the the dry clutch in traffic, especially on hot days, as well as the problem of reliability and noise. There are some good deals on the 2004 and I am still undecided if I should wait until the middle of next year for full prices on real 2005's. ANy comments would be helpful. Oh yeah, all ST4's are ABS here.
Cheers
Old 15-Nov-2004, 13:14
Mille

Not aware of any other big changes between 2004 and 05 (but haven't been looking), but regard the clutch question I expect you will get wildly different responses. Personally I don't mind the noise of the dry clutch, it is just another characteristic that you will either like or not. On reliability/durability I have the ST2 with the dry clutch and have done over 24k miles on the original clutch and plates. No major hassles. It can get a little big graunchy just on take off in first, but a clean normally fixes this. The bike has been in all conditions, from traffic jams in 40 degree temperatures in Australia to track days, with no complaints from the clutch. I know other people claim that they go through clutches much more rapidly, but I don't know what they do to them! It is noiser than normal now and is probably due for a replacement. Would be interesting to see if the wet clutch was lighter than the dry clutches (which can be hard work in traffic), but the addition of an aftermarket slave cylinder (just got one for the 996 for £70) fixes this anyway. I would of thought the potential for getting a good price now on a current ST4s would outweigh any benefit from hanging around for a 'real' 2005 bike. IMHO!
Old 15-Nov-2004, 13:22
Big Twin

I don't know what you think of your 750SS clutch, MDB, but the wet clutch on my old one I also thought to be a bit "clunky", likewise on Monsters I've ridden. I think the dry clutch is a much "sweeter" unit. Whether the ST4S wet clutch will be the same, or an improvement, I don't know.
Old 15-Nov-2004, 15:05
500SD

Thanks for the info on the clutches. I have ridden with folks on 900 SS and others and the noise is not a real problem. The wonderful Japanese traffic jams in the summer are though. However, I will probably go for the 2004, especially since the loan rate is 0.9% for 60 payments.
Old 16-Nov-2004, 12:38
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
If it helps MDB the dry clutch on my ST4S lasted 18,000 before needing replacement, and that included lots of traffic work. I think you will find the 'power upgrade' is more to do with the way they measure it rather than a real increase in output.

John
Old 16-Nov-2004, 15:16
500SD

That helps Monty. Guess I am just trying to find reasons not to buy one and hang on to my 750SS (30,000 km and no clutch change). Seems like there are a lot of ways to overcome one of the weak points in the stock Ducati clutches, from new baskets, 48 tooth baskets, Barnett clutch plates (worked well in my 7 liter Ford), etc., etc., but why doesn't Ducati fix it for good. Not whining, just wondering.
As for power, that is interesing as the oil bath clutch should be robbing hp as it wheels about in all that weasel ****. Bloody Italians
Old 17-Nov-2004, 10:46
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Clutches are disposable parts, meant to wear. You think Ducati clutches are bad-the dry clutch on my TZ250D race bike will last about 10 race starts-which is all you use it for-the start!

John
Old 18-Nov-2004, 03:13
500SD

Monty, I guess that stuff that fills my pocketbook at times is disposable as well.
You must feel that way everytime you replace the nasty two stroke clutch!
I know you are right, but if there are a number of suppliers who make more reliable clutches, you would think Ducati would get on the ball in this area and do it to theirs as well. Guess that is why they went to oil bath for the ST4 in 05.
BTW, where do you get parts for your Yamadog boy racer.
Old 18-Nov-2004, 16:36
Mille

Apparently the change to oil bath clutch is to assist with meeting the new noise emmission requirements, not durability. If they made the bikes perfect we wouldn't have all the fun of searching for all the good aftermarket bits!
Old 18-Nov-2004, 23:50
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood

"Yamadog boy racer"-cheeky git, I'll have you know it's a fine example of a 'V' twin race bike-and a bloody sight easier to work on than a Ducati that's for sure.
I get all my bits from Dennis Trollope Racing Spares in Bristol, he's one of the 2 UK agents for Yamaha and Honda 2 stroke race bikes-why, do you have any sources over there??

John