Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 29-Nov-2004, 20:10
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Car insurance (second car)

Car insurance

Not bike related but does anyone have details of a car insurance company that will insure more than one car on the policy ?. Direct Line assure me that it is not possible and that no insurance company will offer this. Alternatively a company who offer at least some discount on the second car even if on a separate policy, can't be the only person on here who has had this problem ?

Just bought and old 4x4 to use when out shooting and fishing and can't get any no claims as it's a second car.

Seems daft to me as I've got 3 bikes on 1 policy!

Ends up that the 4X4 will cost me more to insure for about 2,000 miles use a year than my main car which is worth about 20 times as much and does 30,000 a year.
Old 29-Nov-2004, 20:43
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
seems even more daft when you think that if you have ANY claim, it takes ALL your discounts....seems another insurance con to me
Old 30-Nov-2004, 14:48
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Think I will go pikey on the 4X4, no tax, no insurance and not registered in my name
Old 30-Nov-2004, 14:50
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
Paul, presumably you'll be ok if you just drive it across fields ?
Old 30-Nov-2004, 18:18
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
...not if he has to cross a road between the fields - even farmers get caught with this!!
Old 01-Dec-2004, 09:25
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Can't believe farmers ever get caught for motoring related offences when you see the kind of things they get up to; trailers with no lights, tractors leaving clods of mud the size of house bricks on the road etc. etc.
Old 01-Dec-2004, 10:13
Mille

Paul,

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. I could'nt find any insurer willing to insure 2 cars with 2 drivers in the same family on 1 policy and I did quite a bit of research at the time.

There must be a market for this type of product - maybe the perceived risk is just to high??
Old 02-Dec-2004, 13:01
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by uncledunnie
Paul,

There must be a market for this type of product - maybe the perceived risk is just to high??

Must be horrendous; a near 50 year old sensible driver wanting to insure for a couple of thousand miles per year

Thanks for the info, there are a few contacts in one of the 4x4 magazines for second car insurance, will give them a try, I'm only looking for me to drive so not putting youngsters or women on the policy.
Old 02-Dec-2004, 14:27
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Paul,

Been through this mularkey recently. Not quite the same situation as you though.

I had no car no claims to use but named on the handbrakes policy for years with no claims. The Broker gave me a sensible quote for the family bus while the Handbrake with a big no claims insures the turbo nutter special with each other named as drivers on each policy.

Naming a woman as another driver does seem to bring the insurance down for some bizarre reason.( sorry)

Shopping around is the name of the game. Any chance of using some sort of Business/Fleet insurance for you? That can sometimes cost a fortune anyway.

I can see a difference in the way bike and car tend to give cover.

Generally speaking most car Policies chuck in cover for spouse for no cost if you have one vehicle, but if you go up to two or more there is double the number of vehicles on the road at any one time, so two policies/premiums needed. Bike insurance doesn't cover the spouse to drive, just the named rider, so even if you have 100 bikes only one on the road at any one time.

The journos at Autocar have been moaning a few times about the lack of car/bike combo insurance but the industry doesn't want to fill the gap,

maybe the GF, housekeeper, cleaner, or any passer by will let you insure it in their name??

Ray.

[Edited on 2-12-2004 by Ray]
Old 02-Dec-2004, 14:45
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
How old is the the 4x4?? Just a thought if it's 10 years or so, you could get classic with ltd. mileage. That's usually pretty damn cheap.
Carole Nash are starting bike/car combined insurance. Might be worth a call?