I have managed to get both mine and my mates insurance premiums down dramatically by brokering our selves via Fax... it's simple...
1) get the fax numbers of as many insurance brokers as possible (I have a list of 50 odd so far and will share them/post them if others add to the list, and ultimately build a comprehensive list)
2) Fill out a word doc with all the questions that they will ask you (Again I have a template)
3) Use a PC Modem to FAX all of the brokers over night (can take a few hours as the form is 4 pages long!)
4) Wait until they Fax back their quotes
5) Re Fax the best Quote to all of them again
Repeat steps 4 & 5 until you are confident you have the lowest possible quote!
To put this into context... I have a Speeding Ban, and Two Bikes (750ss and Yamaha SuperMoto) and NO garage.. I am 30 Live in London, and insure both bikes for under £400 Full Comp, £100 excess, Euro & RAC cover, and Legal Expenses Cover... Not bad really!
To emphasis what a rip of it is getting just a few quotes, my mate just got a rediculous renewal quote through, so he used the Fax Broker System... and believe it or not, the company who did the best deal eventually, was the company that initally gave hime the renewal quote!!! They all just try it on, and see if you'll pay it!
Also a couple of companies Faxed back saying that several of the companies faxed were the same Group just trading under Different names.. which is all the more suspicious in artificially keeping the premiums higher!
Any how it worked wonders for me.. basically the money I saved on my car and bike insurance, gave me enough spare cash to buy the Supermoto! Now that's a result!