Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Jan-2005, 16:15

Considering ST3 - Whats life like with a Ducati ?

Hiya all,

I currently have a Fazer 1000, which I have had for just under 3 years and 19K from new.

Had a short test ride on an ST3 from Lincoln Ducati recently, and really liked it, although the clutch was quite heavy and the engine seemed quite tight (500 miles).

As far as I can tell, and the reasons for wanting to change are :-

- Noise (My Fazer sounds like a sewing machine)
- Image (Im shallow, what can I say)
- Different characterstics of engine compared to 4 cyl.
- Quality of suspension (better than Fazer ?)
- The new black colour
- Pillion Comfort
- More mechanical feel ?

Disadvantages I can see are (feel free to comment!) :-

- Servicing costs
- Servicing costs
- Servicing costs
- Dealer network (fewer dealers)
- More 'agricultural' feel
- Less reliability ?
- Quality of finish less than Yamaha ?

I guess this is really a heart rather than head decision, but would at least like to be aware of any disadvantages first.

Also, do any of you guys in Midlands meet up regularly ? Would love to come and natter to a few owners. (whats that non main dealer servicing place near junction 28 of M1....).

Any advice/guidance appreciated.

Cheers.

RBW.

P.S. Anyone fancy a Silver Fazer 1000
Old 23-Jan-2005, 16:16

I forgot to mention, the ST3 I tried had the dry clutch, not the new wet clutch for 2005
Old 23-Jan-2005, 17:07
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
I moved from a Yamaha R1 to a 749 so some similarity.

I will just address a couple of the disadvantages.

Servicing costs, for me this is a lot higher, but should not be such a big jump on the ST3. The more miles you do the less the difference.

Dealer network (fewer dealers)
True, but if you are in the midlands you have at least 2 excellent places that should be in reach.

More 'agricultural' feel, not sure what that means, but for me on a 749 it is better suspension, better handling better engine (although less power obviously)

I think the finish on mine is better. I got loads of stone chips on the R1, much less on the 749, but I know others have had problems. I keep my bikes clean so no corrosion on either.

Rob
Old 23-Jan-2005, 19:03

Interesting change from R1 to 749, I guess thats a similar parallel to a Fazer -> ST3.

RE: Agricultural feel, you mention better suspension (agreed), better handling (agreed), better engine ( well, I guess that depends on your definition of better ). You mentioned the R1 obviously makes more power, and Im not really searching for outright power, more usable power and torque.

What I was trying to get at, was that a Jap in line 4 is very smooth (characterless perhaps), and a v-twin against it feels very different. Also, a jap in line 4 is worryingly reliable and stable (e.g. you dont notice much difference in performance between 10 miles and 10,000 miles on the clock).

I guess I just have an itch to scratch for a v-twin, and a Ducati.

Interesting comments on the finish, I too keep my bike pretty pristine, and dont tend to ride in the worst weather, its good to hear your experiences and opinion.

Cheers.

RBW.
Old 23-Jan-2005, 19:13
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
I can assue you that the ST is a very capable bike whether on Track or Road. It torque engine is well happy pudeling along with the mother in law on the back or "giving it some "out with the lads. On the servicing side ,it may be more expensive, cause you will no doublt do more miles on it because of the grin factor. Oil and filter's are no more to buy for a Duke than a Ho Ho Hon ( no I can't say it ) . 6000 miles is what the book say's , earlier than that in reality. Belts on a ST will be about £120 every 10,000 miles or two years. On the reliability stakes, thats a slur that Ducati have had to live with from the early days of dodgy electrics. Anything mechanical, much like our own bodies is liable to break down ,some people live to 90 with out break down, some less,depends on how you look after yourself, much like a bike really . We have in the club some very talented people who service our bikes and serve us well, I would say that in its self is worth the "Risk" of Ducati ownership. The ST3 has not been out long, but if it goes as good as the ST2 and Im sure it will, then buy one and join the DSC ASAP . Regards 4D
Old 23-Jan-2005, 19:13
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
If it helps I have an ST4S which has 21,000 on it in just over 3 years, no major problems-it had an ECU fault which Ducati fixed under warrenty. Lots of my miles have been 2 up with panniers, and quite a few have been on the track.
I think the main difference between a Ducati and a UJM is that the Ducati feels like a motorbike whereas the UJM feels like a car-bland-to me anyway.
I also have a Yam TZ250 which feels NOTHING like a car...

John
Old 23-Jan-2005, 19:17
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Don't do it because once you've made the switch there is no going back. Once a duke gets under your skin there is nothing else to really compare with it - everything else will feel soulless. So save your money and stick with the rice burners

Also you have to put up with the reprobates in this club!!!
Old 23-Jan-2005, 19:21
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
What Monty said!
Except my 4S is rarely ( never? ) used with a pillion.
Whereabouts are you RBW?
If you want a chat, call in at Cornerspeed on a Saturday, there's usually a few of the Notts mob knocking about drinking Nelly's tea & coffee.
Click here for location & contact details ......... Cornerspeed
Cheers
Andy
Old 23-Jan-2005, 19:22
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
I guess the better engine is a close call as the R1 engine is excellent with almost any amount of power available at any RPM while still very controlable. This can seem a little bland on the road as don't need to make any effort as at most speed several different gears are fine.

I prefer the delivery of the 749 it just seems a touch more controlable, but that may just be because of the lower overall power. It does seem smother when coming back onto the power from a closed throttle.

Of course the ST3 is a different engine, so I guess you should to get a test ride booked and see what you think.
Old 23-Jan-2005, 20:35
Ducati Corse

I\'ve just bought a ST3 ..

.. although I have owned 998/916s up to now. Its not got the grunt of the Faser - about 20bhp less - but it is a far more composed ride and the pick up is better from low revs. Wind protection is much better on the ST and the finish on all my Ducatis has been superior to every Jap bike I've owned including a VFR750.

Servicing is at the same intervals and will be twice as much - say £300 more over 12,000 miles. Unsure what you mean by agricultural, do you mean the engine/clutch noise? If so the wet clutch on the '05 models will quiten things down. I used to get numb hands on my Jap 4 cylinder bikes through vibration but never have a problem on the L twin, very smooth.

As you say it's a heart thing. You become part of a big family with Ducati as the 57 folk who flew to Italy on Friday will testify, even the CEO talks to you Give it a go for a year and if you don't like it trade in just before the first service and it'll cost you less than the Faser - can't ask farer than that

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...3/Img_0327.jpg