Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Mar-2005, 11:06

Mood: Ducati 748S
Blown Fuse Problem

Hi Guys
Im in need of some technical help!!

I recently purchased a set of small indicators for my 748. After messing around with the wiring, I managed to connect them up. Initially when using the indicator switch, regardless of the direction I pressed it, both indicators would flash!

I thought it might be a case of wiring them up incorrectly, so I switched the two wires over (for each indicator), and tried again. This time, the idicator lights would flash (as they are supposed too - ie. press switch to left then left indicator lights would come on). However they would only flash the once before blowing a fuse.

I tried adding a new fuse, and the same happened again....

Can anyone give me any advice on this? I dont fancy blowing a whole box of fuses messing around with the wires!

Thanks in advance for any help

Nick
Old 11-Mar-2005, 11:13
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
I'm guessing the wiring at the back is the problem, the front indicators are idiot proof, 2 wires through the airtubes, the rear loom has the indicators, tail light, brake light and number plate light.

You'll have a circuit diagram in your manual have a look there, or try the haynes manual.
Old 11-Mar-2005, 14:18
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by npotts
Hi Guys
Im in need of some technical help!!

I recently purchased a set of small indicators for my 748. After messing around with the wiring, I managed to connect them up. Initially when using the indicator switch, regardless of the direction I pressed it, both indicators would flash!

I thought it might be a case of wiring them up incorrectly, so I switched the two wires over (for each indicator), and tried again. This time, the idicator lights would flash (as they are supposed too - ie. press switch to left then left indicator lights would come on). However they would only flash the once before blowing a fuse.

I tried adding a new fuse, and the same happened again....

Can anyone give me any advice on this? I dont fancy blowing a whole box of fuses messing around with the wires!

Thanks in advance for any help

Nick

Take the indicators off, leave wires in open air (not touching each other or bike), try the switch. Does it blow the fuse?
If it does, obviously you've disturbed somethin else.

Now get a shed load of fuses.
Connect ONE indicator.
Try the switch.
Replace fuse or not.
take one wire out.
out another wire in.
try switch.
replace fuse or not.
Keep at it till you get one working, then connect the second up.
It's only a matter of logic to reduce the number of fuses you'll blow.

Or like JP says, get a wiring diagram and friendly sparky. (but then again, the wiring diagrams aren't always correct)
Old 11-Mar-2005, 15:07
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Forget the shed load of fuses. Get a bulb, indicator would do fine and fit a couple of wires to it so that it lights when you apply 12V. Pull out the fuse and stick one wire in each receptical so that the bulb is in place of the fuse. Now switch everything on. If the bulb lights up bright the short is present. Disconnect one wire at a time until the bulb goes out or only lights up dim. When that happens you've found the circuit with the short.