Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Mar-2005, 20:09
Montjuic

ST2 - top fairing removal?

How does the top fairing come off? I have taken the bottom fairing off and undone all the bolts for the top but it is still rigid in place. Does the entire screen fairing need to come off too? There seems to be something fixed at the top corner under the screen fairing and the damn thing just won't budge.

What do you think guys?
Old 19-Mar-2005, 20:18
Mille

You have to take the headlight fairing off first (inc mirrors ect.), standing in front of the bike - easing it forwards whilst holding either side so as to get past the mounting brackets. Then you can remove either side (both panels together if youy wish).

Take care with the mirror bolts - they have a tendency the cross thread!

Lee
Old 19-Mar-2005, 20:19
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
have you removed the wing mirrors?
Old 19-Mar-2005, 20:48
Ducati Corse

Take the two grey covers off either side of the clocks. They are held by total of three allen screws. Be careful not to break the locating lugs on the back. Then take off the mirrors. Undo all the allen screws around the base of the top fairing. It should then just slide off forwards. Dont forget to release the indicator bulbs by turning them a half turn. You dont need to take any of the other bits of plastic off to get the top fairing off but you do need to take the top off to get the side bits off.
Old 19-Mar-2005, 21:58
Montjuic

OMG! Really...?? What kind of design is that?? Good grief.. oh well.. at least I know.. thanks guys!
Old 19-Mar-2005, 22:48
Ducati Corse

Poor design to be honest but once you've done it a few times (and you will cos its a Duke) its possible to get it all off in about ten minutes and back on again in about twenty.

[Edited on 19-3-2005 by rockhopper]
Old 20-Mar-2005, 17:14
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Here's a small tip from Uncle Jools.

When you put your mirrors back on, ditch the standard bolts and replace them with the same size Allen bolt. Then you'll be able to crack them loose with the short end of the allen key in the bolt (so you get max leverage on the long end), then (especially if you use ball end allen keys) you'll be able to flip the key round to use the long end in the bolt and just twirl 'em out (or back in).

It's about ten times speedier and easier than a 1/4 turn each time wiv a spanner.
Old 28-Apr-2005, 21:25
Mille

Jools

What a time saver, now where might I get me some of them bolts? I am fed up with the spanner thingy....... Especially when I get excited about putting the bike back together and put the wing mirrors on first, tighten akk the nuts and ..............oh feck the nose cone won't go on......oK take the mirrors of again.........only done that once but it was enough.

SA