Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Mar-2005, 10:29
Mille

Sarter motor gremlin ?

I had a problem yesterday when the starter motor would not engage. I had been tuning the bike with my Co2 meter and so the bike had been sitting at tick over for some time. During this time I had stopped and started the bike a couple of times. When time came for the final test ride the starter motor would spin but the bendix gears would not engage, I could hear them lightly rubbing on the flywheel. I checked the battery voltage, it was 12.5V so thats OK, I could only assume the starter had over-heated ?
Anyway I put the bike on the charger all night and it Turned the engine over OK this morning. I was going to take the starter out for a look but it seems you have to drop a peice of engine casing to access the fixing bolts ?
Any thoughts ?

Thanks
Old 20-Mar-2005, 17:25
Ducati Corse

Its not an inertia starter so it doesnt have a bendix gear. (I think!!). Sounds like a sprag clutch problem but its difficult for me to work out from the parts diagram and i have never actually seen one taken apart.