Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 24-Mar-2005, 10:47
Big Twin

Paypal advice needed

I've just sold my first ever item on ebay.....wwhooo...a fireplace surround for the grand price of £72!

So everything is going along smoothly, and I set up my paypal account...and then the buyer pays via credit card. Paypal tells me it won't accept credit card payments with a standard account, only with the premier or business account. No problem, as I may be selling some more stuff in the future I upgrade to the premier account.

Paypal then tells me that any outstanding credit card payments will be payed immediately....however since doing this, the payment made by the buyer has still not shown up in the account (its been nearly 48 hours), despite me receiving a message from paypal saying I have received payment...

Come on all you ebay experts...what am I doing wrong???
Old 24-Mar-2005, 10:49
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
I think it may have been paid into your paypal account, but you need to go and transfer it to your bank account which can take up to a week.

Took me a while to work it out, but then I am only a girl
Old 24-Mar-2005, 10:51
Big Twin

but when i go to my paypal account surely it would show up as a trancation...at the moment it shows no transactions at all since I've opended it?
Old 24-Mar-2005, 10:56
Ducati in my Blood

ok, that doesn't sound right, it should be there somewhere if it has been processed. It can be a bit fiddly to work out where stuff is but you should be able to find record of it somewhere.

I would try contacting them for help.
Old 24-Mar-2005, 11:00
Big Twin

Are paypal any good at reposnding to customer questions do you know?

Its just the buyer wants to come down this weekend to collect so ideally I want it sorted today...
Old 24-Mar-2005, 11:03
Ducati in my Blood

hmmm, don't know to be honest. maybe you could get someone to do a test payment to see if it lands anywhere?
Old 24-Mar-2005, 11:10
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Harv748
Are paypal any good at reposnding to customer questions do you know?

Its just the buyer wants to come down this weekend to collect so ideally I want it sorted today...

Did you receive the e-mail from him when he tried to pay you? You should have received an e-mail to your registered paypal e-mail address. In that e-mail will be a link - what happens when you follow that?
Old 24-Mar-2005, 11:29
Ducati Corse

You need to make sure that the email address you gave ebay is the same as the one you are using for your paypal account. You can add extra address to your paypal account to fix this. I had the same thing happen, then i added the ebay address to paypal and the transaction appeared straight away.
Old 24-Mar-2005, 11:45
Big Twin

All sorted now...Rockhopper is kind of on the right track.

For some reason, despite setting up a new account (specifically for this transaction) the payment was made to a old account that my girlfriend set up some time ago in my name!

What gave it away was the email address that the buyer was using to contact me...which was my old one from my old account. Hadn't noticed it until Rockhopper suggested looking into the email address.

Ta very much
Old 24-Mar-2005, 12:58
Big Twin

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but be careful with Paypal, and make sure you send stuff to be signed for on delivery not just proof of posting.

Briefly, my mate had these 2 experiences last year.
1) sold a mobile phone/PC thingy which was bought for about £200 or so. The buyer paid by credit card into mate's Paypal account and he sent the item. The credit card eventually turned out to be stolen, even though Paypal had processed the tranaction and the moeny was in his account. Paypal aren't bothered about trying to trace the buyer, it is easier to claim the money back from the seller. Which they are doing!
2) He sold some concert tickets for about £100. He sent them to the buyer and got proof of postage. The buyer claimed they had not arrived (a day or 2 before the event) and Paypal INSTANTLY refunded the buyer's credit card without any checks with the seller. The assumption was that the seller was ripping off the buyer. He is now in dispute with Paypal over both of these.

Just feel I ought to share this, as it's not all as safe and trouble free as they'd have you think.

Henry
(at his most pessimistic!)

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit