Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Apr-2005, 22:35
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Battery Charge Retention ST3

Has anybody experienced flat battery problems with their ST3? The other day after leaving the bike unused for only a week the battery was too weak to turn over the engine.
Fortunately I have an accessible Optimate lead set up which enabled me to quickly recharge the flat battery without removing the fairing.
I beleive that part of the reason is down to the permanent headlight on switch, unlike the Multistrada which can be ridden from the off with the lights unlit and never had any battery problems.
Interestingly the instruction manual that came with the bike shows a diagram of a three position light switch(a la Multistrada) but this is not fitted to my bike. Instead it has an hazard light switch.
Is this because mine is an earlier or later built bike?
Old 02-Apr-2005, 22:46
GTL

All models 2004 onwards do not have a facility to be able to turn the lights off !!
Old 02-Apr-2005, 22:47
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Headlight Always On

The below company do a solution to the headlight always on.

http://www.bike-gizmos.com/bikegizmo...ght-gizmo.html
Old 02-Apr-2005, 23:10
Ducati Corse

Only use my ST3 once a week - I know I'm a lightweight :P - but no problems so far .......
Old 03-Apr-2005, 00:13
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Haven't got an ST3, but, I do have the identical probelm with my 2003 749s. Bike is still under warranty and I have been advised by two DSC members to have it replaced under warranty, just as they have .... JHP here I come.
Old 03-Apr-2005, 20:34

I was away for 6 weeks. ST3 started first press of the button! Most impressed. I had even left the alarm on - which goes into sleep mode after 3 days. Are you still within the 2 year guarantee period?
Suggest talk to your dealer.
Old 04-Apr-2005, 20:52
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally posted by Micko
I was away for 6 weeks. .

Glad to see that you're out.. ermm.. I mean back...!
Old 04-Apr-2005, 21:34
Big Twin

These gell batteries are notorious for not holding their charge. They are built for high output from a small size not long life. I've had trouble with ST2, ST4s and now 749S. If you have an alarm then I reckon you will want an Optimate (sooner or later). It's OK if you ride frequently, and I was worried taking the ST4s on a 3 week tour around France, but it was fine. Leave it without using it for about a month as I did the 749 in a mate's stable (yep, stable not garage) and the battery was so flat when I went to fetch it that I couldn't disarm the the alarm! It went off when I moved it and refused to switch off again.
Old 06-Apr-2005, 07:24
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by ariel
I beleive that part of the reason is down to the permanent headlight on switch, unlike the Multistrada which can be ridden from the off with the lights unlit and never had any battery problems.
I very much doubt it is anything to do with the headlights being permanantly on.
Besides,when you press the starter button it sends a signal down to the CPU to switch the lights off.
More than likely to be a duff gel battery.My local dealer has replaced loads of them,including the one on my 999.
Old 09-May-2005, 12:03
Mille

Agree with Keefy. The light won't cause the problem, not unless you have the ignition switched on for ages before you go to start it. The gizmo for the headlight (I have one fitted to the ST2) is mainly aimed at protecting the old regulator/rectifiers that end up frying due to the high demand on the electical system after starting a bike with a low charge battery. Going to a higher gauge lead to the starter motor helps out a bit with starting from a low battery, but really making sure your battery is healthy and maintaining it (lots of riding or an optimate) is the way to go.