Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Apr-2005, 01:35
Montjuic

engine woes ???

Out on a ride today I noticed a noise similar to that you get when running your finger round the rim of a glass coming from the engines viscinity. This stops when I come to a halt and is barely hinted at when revving the engine at standstill. It may be my imagination but the engine did seem not to run as smoothly.
The bike is a 2000 ST2 with original clutch assembly (17000 miles) I think this needs changing as the plates still clatter up to 30 mph or so. It may be me again but I think the gearbox wine is getting rather loud too.
The alternator nut has not been checked although there are no erratic noises from the engine with the clutch lever pulled.
Everything is pretty much standard apart from a 14 tooth sprocket and tsubaki chain. (needless info I know)
Any ideas anyone ?
Old 06-Apr-2005, 10:29
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Hmmmm.... Difficult to say without hearing it.

First thing I would say is, does the noise vary with engine speed or road speed? Does it rise in pitch when you go faster or does it stay the same droning note? Does it get louder?

Is it a constant 'wine glass' type noise or is it intermittent?

The next thing to ask, is it the engine or something else? One of the cycle parts rubbing perhaps? Since you can't hear anything when revving the engine at a standstill it might not be the engine. Try pulling the clutch in and freewheeling for a bit with the engine at idle. If the noise is still there it's more likely something touching somewhere than engine related.

If the noise stops when you pull the clutch and freewheel, but continues when the engine is under load it could be your clutch (at 17000 miles that's gotta be near it's life expectancy), having said that the clutch should only make any type of 'wine glass' noise if it's slipping and you would feel that when the engine revs rose without any extra drive. But, if it only happens under load, could be something like a gearbox output bearing.

Somebody with more of a clue might come along in a minute, but that's what I would be checking.
Old 08-Apr-2005, 22:21
Montjuic

Tye noise does seem to increase in volume with revs. I have also noticed that the engine does indeed feel rougher and doesnt rev as freely past 8000 as it used to. (not that I bother going there usually).
Its booked in to get the throttle bodies balanced and new belts in 1 week so I'll ask them to give it a test ride and see what they say.

My only concern is that the bike is my sole form of transport atm and I cannot avoid using it.
Just hope my luck holds out.