Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Apr-2005, 10:31

Ride to Spain..

Hi Guys, Bit of advice please....
Am going on annual rideout with mates (Tuono ZX12R Mille GSX750) and this year, since it may be my last as plan is to emigrate to NZ, I've decided to try to take the SP4.... We're going to head thru France, do the Pyrranees and do some of spain too - 350 miles riding per day average.

Now its quite a nice bike and I dont want to scratch it!!! And I dont want to wear a backpack for 2000 miles, and.. I dont want to cock up the handling with weight too high or right out over the back... Dont like too big a tank bag either...! Oh dear, picky eh?
Ideally I dont want it to look like a pack horse either....!
Plus I want to be able to unload the bike quickly every night and re-pack it without drama every morning.

So the big question is: where am I going to put my stuff and what am I going to put it in?? I'm willing to buy / hire the right packing gear. ..
Anyone done a long trip with a 888 and can offer some advice please?
Old 13-Apr-2005, 18:45
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
Support van
Old 13-Apr-2005, 19:04
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
I'd suggest a Ventura system but they only list a fitting for the 888 strada and i'm guessing the subframe maybe different for the SP4, might be worth checking.
Old 14-Apr-2005, 09:49

I was consdering the Ventura system and noted that, does anyone know if the strada mount can be fitted to an SP - not having ever seen the mount for a strada I can't figure out whether it could be adapted - or what might get in the way on an SP that wouldn't on a strada... ???
Old 14-Apr-2005, 21:04
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
The ventura system for the 888 (in my loft) uses the Strada foot peg and pillion grab handles mountings. I could lend/hire you the lot but you'd end up with a Strada/SP4 cross including seat frame, seat pads, rear foot pegs and low level exhausts. I reckon it'd take about 2 hours to do, tops.

Rgds, Rob
Old 14-Apr-2005, 21:17
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
oh yes, I guess it also depends when you are going and if the low level cans would fit your headers.
Old 16-Apr-2005, 23:08

ride to spain

Do what i did last year from Newcastle to Southern Spain with a mate on my 748, race leathers on, small backpack with minimum clothing and personnel stuff, ie credit card and toothbrush/jeans & t-shirts etc, take the long way there via the senic route over a few days, put your lass/wifey on a cheap easyjet flight to Alicante or similar, stick some cash in her pocket for a taxi to the nearest resort/hotel/villa with your spare clothing etc in her 10th suitcase and meet her at the far end. She's happy & your happy = result!!!
Stick her indoors back on return flight a few days later and you make a racing dash cross country to catch the ferry again...
Old 19-Apr-2005, 10:26

Rob, Thanks for the very kind offer mate! Not sure at this stage if I want to do that amount of engineering to the bike though!

Cleggy, yep, goo idea in principle mate, trouble is when I factor in the 3 kids its gonna cost me a bit too much I reckon!

Less engineering focussed idea: Has anyone tried a baglux on 888?
Old 19-Apr-2005, 13:33
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
if you arrange a "base" in the pyranees - biker friendly hotel / lodging or whatever(check the mags or MCN) then send a bag of stuff ahead, then take your essentials with you in a nice comfy backpack - same on return. Are you taking the SP4 to NZ?? if you do you will have a fantastic time
Old 19-Apr-2005, 13:35
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Tell you what, I'll put all the panniers and Ventura kit back on my ST and you can take that to Spain.

I'll look after your SP4 for you

Seriously though, have you thought about using one of those tour companies that will take your stuff to a given hotel or B&B every day in a support van like Sparkin said. There was a guy on this board who ran stuff like that in Spain(bought a Corbin saddle off him but cant remember his name), they haul your stuff round to known points, you just blat off and do your own thing between brekkie and dinner and your stuff is waiting for you at the other end.