Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Apr-2005, 13:18
Montjuic

Mood: SP4 is back
Front Discs for SP4

I was out on the bike this morning, had to brake hard from approx 100+ MPH and noticed a judder from the front brakes, I assume one or both are warped.
I am booked onto my next track day on 3rd May so need to get them sorted by then.
Question, what do I replace them with?

Will standard 916 discs fit or is it worth going a bit upmarket?
Old 17-Apr-2005, 20:14
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
I had the same symptoms with the full-floaters on mine - once they get too worn they're f8cked. I ended up putting them on a 750 Monster because it wasn't likely to be doing too much 100+ mph stopping!!

I got a good deal on a pair of new Brembos, but use EBC floaters on my race bike (£220 a pair)

Normal steel discs will fit but you will notice the difference

Paul
Old 19-Apr-2005, 11:11
Montjuic

Hi, the rotors can be repaired fairly easily, if they are just worn. Basically a good engineering shop will be able to put slightly larger rotor rivets on them. The discs on my F1 were very oblong, and being as rare as rocking house poop, they redrilled the disc and carrier to accept larger rivets. Better then new and still going strong. Otherwise all pre 749/999(only 5 bolts) 320mm discs will fit with the exception of the late model 748/996/998 R bikes which were fitted with Ohlins front forks, they are 5mm greater offset and the CORSE discs which were fitted to the 3 spoke marchesini wheels which are 10mm greater offset as the hubs are narrower.
Old 07-May-2005, 18:25

Mood: Like a rolling stone......
"Repair" rotors with new buttons ?? Buttons don't fix anything mate. Judder is cause by rotor warpage, not buttons that have gone amiss.
Frankly, after 10+ years of track time, I've never seen or heard of buttons causing problems.

Rotors are either straight or they are not. If slightly warped, the getting them off the carriers and Blanchard ground by a machine shop will get them straight again, abit thinner for sure, but if it is within book tolerances it works quite well.