Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Apr-2005, 23:31
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

ST Seat

I think i must have one of the last bikes without the Gel seat, when we test rode a new ST3 it had a gel seat and we remember it was really comfy (wifes phrase) has anyone out there converted to a gel seat from the standard foam one. Was it worth the money ?
Old 26-Apr-2005, 10:47
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
I have an 03 ST4S which came with a non-gel seat. The newer ST4 & ST3 have a slightly different seat which you can tell easily by a more pronounced lip at the front of the pillion seat to stop the pillion sliding forward.

Anyway, yes we brought a genuine Gel seat and it is superb. The riders seat seems a little wider, the pillion bit is more pronounced, and the wife no longer slides forweard to join me up the front on downhill heavy braking (so my nuts are once again pink & not black )

One thing though. The catalogue shows a different seat with a tubular storage thing in its base. The new one is not like that, and actually has a U lock instead.

Money well spent if you ask me

[Edited on 26-4-2005 by John W]
Old 26-Apr-2005, 11:08
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
It might also be worth checking out Corbin seats. I have one of these (without the wussy backrest) and it is superb for longer journeys. It takes the opposite approach to Gel, because the foam is quite firm, but it works and is very, very comfortable. It's a bit like having a firm mattress, once you've had one you'll never want to sleep on a squishy mattress again - well, unless Nigella Lawson and a can of whipped cream are also in the equation somewhere

Sargent seats are also quite similar and just as many people rave about them, here's a sample of their seat

As you can see, both seats are also sculpted to prevent what must surely become known as "John W Plum Syndrome", the Corbin seat certainly stops Mrs Jools from unexpected excursions onto the riders seat.

I actually swap the saddles over quite a bit because the Corbin (although ideal for long trips) has that sort of 'bucket' for the rider to sit in and the lip along the edge of the seat makes it more difficult to slide across the seat to hang off the bike, so for me it's the Corbin for long trips or when I'm taking a pillion and the standard seat for ride outs and trackdays (not that BHC rideouts are remotely like trackdays - honest officer)
Old 29-Apr-2005, 00:25
500SD

Very good Jools

The DP seat looks most like the top picture.

Agreed about sliding across the seat too.
Old 29-Apr-2005, 22:13
Montjuic

So.. how money do these seats go for?
Old 29-Apr-2005, 23:29
500SD

The DP one was about 160GBP I think, but I've had some beers and been t sleep since I brought it, so could be wrong.