Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 14-Jul-2003, 15:17
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
A day at the races. Moto GP

Having read through the General Messages page which (me included) seems to be focusing on the negative parking setup I thought I would put a more race impressions thread up.

It has been a good few years since I went to a bike Grand Prix, I think Eddie Lawson was still racing when I was last at Donington, - and Freddie Spencer was still riding both the 250 and 500 class when I vowed never to return to Silverstone (had enough of bad facilities and a track where you could n’t see any racing).

So yesterday I was comparing to the many WSBK and BSB races that I have been watching over more recent years.

Morning free practice for Moto GP starts, - wow what a wonderful noise from the Honda, and Yamaha , - not so sure about the rest, even the Ducati, (sorry guys) it sure it is loud but it is a bit ragged. As for bike performance, clearly the Honda is the bike to have, followed by Ducati and Yamaha, I fear Suzuki, Kawasaki and Proton will always be playing catch up, (V6 Honda next year). Having the couple of 2 strokes on the track made me remember another reason why I gave up following GP’s, that and the fact that the series has never been friendly to British racers. Please Dorna look at yesterdays attendance at put some pressure on the teams to sign up some UK talent, and let’s not have a repeat of the Walker fiasco.

As for the riders; - from what I saw yesterday Rossi and Biagi are in a league of their own, - coming into view from under the bridge Biaggi was so smooth, and for those that knock him, judge him as a racer not a commentator. Also Biaggi’s bike did look to be different from Rossi’s in that it was possible to see Biaggi changing down 2 gears for Mcleans with his manual slipper clutch, yet Rossi was seemingly able to change down with no movement from his bike with his electronic slipper. And as another thought compare Biaggi’s day with that of Ukawa. He was on same bike, very different setup and rider. Both Biaggi and Rossi were moving from leaning to the right to the left for Mcleans in one smooth movement that did not unsettle the bike, - perhaps Gibenea and Edwards were the next 2 closest to the smoothness of the front running pair. The speed through Starkey’s Bridge was amazing from every rider out there, Rossi saved a front and rear slide which looked to un-seat him, how does he do that at that speed? - Having walked onto the track the black lines on the uphill blind entrance to McLeans were so long. It was such a shame that Barros did not start, as I would have loved to see his smooth style as a comparison (thanks Kagayama, mirror signal manoveure next time). Capo and Bayliss are very talented brave racers, - both capable of winning a race or two, but the championship winner is Rossi. – I would say that if Rossi went to Ducati it would be their quickest way of winning a championship.

I hate to say it but Moto GP is a class up from WSBK, - although I still prefer the overall atmosphere of the WSBK races. There is no reason why a WSBK champ can’t go on to be Moto GP champ, but as I think Edwards has said himself you do have to raise your game, good luck Hodgson!

As for the “support” races, - loved the smooth flow of the 125’s, but who the hell was who, - same for 250’s really,

Will I go next year? Yes probably, the facilities (or lack) are a disgrace, - it will either be on the bike or camping with the family, - and doing a barbie after race day until the traffic clears
Old 14-Jul-2003, 15:47
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
Same thoughts here really Ian. Last went to 500's at Donny in about 1991, so Schwantz, Rainey etc. As now we only went for the main race, not the 125/250.

Bikes were awesome. Shame we did not go for the DSC package in the end as we were a way from the track but did have the advantage of a screen!

Ian, if I had known you were there I would have said hello as we never met when we were supposed to last year. I came up to the DSC bit twice - once to meet Antonye and then Aotearoa. Are you going to WSB at Brands?

I may go next year if Ducati offer a package again but I may just stick to superbikes.
Old 14-Jul-2003, 18:18
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
yep will be at Brands, - it's only 40 mins away, - just hinking about changing from our normal Paddock Hill spot this year. Perhaps on the grass of clearways for a change, - give us a shout nearer the time, I wil give you my mobile.
Old 14-Jul-2003, 22:12
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
We went on the south bank last year and that was a good spot, with screen behind us. I'll U2U my mobile also.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit