Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-May-2005, 20:59
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.

Anyone here had a 955 or a 955sp? ( If that is correct??)

I am interested in any owners thoughts and views. I have a few ideas for the distant future concerning my 853. I may well end up either buying an engine outright or building one up over time to slot right into my bike.( I need some 916 engine cases, right?)

How does it compare to say, a 996 sps for example? Would I be better off with a 996 sps lump?
I wanna know what the 955 rides like? Is it a peaky bitch with no low down or is it a fire breather? What are the service intervals like?

PS, yep Ive seen the ones on e bay.

Thanks in advance,

DC.
Old 08-May-2005, 22:08
Mille

For the 955 conversion you should idealy start with a 916sp engine as this will have the larger valves, better crank & rods. I believe the 916sp also has larger crank case openings to suit the 955 barrels. I think a 996sps lump would be more powerfull, reliable & cheaper but I am tempted with a 955 as it's a bit different.
Old 08-May-2005, 22:30
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by 748mart
For the 955 conversion you should idealy start with a 916sp engine as this will have the larger valves, better crank & rods. I believe the 916sp also has larger crank case openings to suit the 955 barrels. I think a 996sps lump would be more powerfull, reliable & cheaper but I am tempted with a 955 as it's a bit different.

I was under the impression that you could convert a 916 engine to 955. I suppose that what you say is correct though, in that you would still need all the valves and gubbins that goes with the 916sp. Including boring out the 916 engine cases.

What are they like to compare then? I mean what would the power differences be between the 955 and the 996sps?

I feel a fiendish plan coming forming in my mind

DC.
Old 08-May-2005, 22:45
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
as you know DC I recently looked into this as a option, true 955 are hard to come by and I don't believe have engine numbers on them.
big bore 916 or sps engines are another matter, and I believe some (later) 916 sps's are 996cc any way
with regard to reliability this is another thing that put me off the highly tuned 853 955 option. if you think how much it cost for them to put together think about the service cost which would be more regular than I would like to think about.
race engines are pulled apart so often it doesn't warrant thinking about.
I'm now looking to go 996 then big bore that much the same as you have done with the 853 but on the bigger scale obviously

[Edited on 8-5-2005 by keefer]
Old 08-May-2005, 22:58
500SD

Hi Keefer,

I hear what you are saying and I agree with you. I do not want an engine that is a race unit. If the 955 ones are pure race spec then if would be a no no for me I guess.

Perhaps I will convert to a 996 lump like yourself, It wont be for a while though. I suppose I am getting all misty eyed about the engine. I just fancy something a bit rare. Thing is this sort of option usually costs!!

Perhaps I will try sps cams/big valves on my 853, whether this gives me more power or just shifts it all to the top of the rev range I will have to look into.

But what is this I hear about your conversion? Big bores I hear you mention, on top of 996 lumps??

Naughty!!

DC.
Old 08-May-2005, 23:00
Mille

Yes you can bore out 916bip cases & can't see why you can't bore 748 cases as I believe they are the same. (later cases may be different).
I don't have any 1st hand knowledge of the 955 but have heard claims of 140 odd bhp. This would involve serious cost & you could probably buy a complete 996sps for less than cost of parts & labour.
Ferracci do a 955 kit inc crank & rods (www.ferracci.com)
Old 09-May-2005, 00:05
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I have a 955 Corse engine, that with its 54mm win injectors and a 54mm Exhaust system puts out 150bhp, I am currently negotiating with a friend who wants this engine and has offerd me his 955SP engine and a sizeable wedge in exchange, originally he enquired about the engine and running package which included the larger race oil coller, a Pace radiator, harness, P8 ECU and ignitors, the 54mm twin injectors and race carbon airbox. The engine runs Champion A55V plugs which aren't cheap. As the engine is unused since a full JHP rebuild including crank bearings etc I originally offed him the package with some spares for £3k.
I originally planned to build a Simpson/Moodie Duckhams Ducati rep as this is where the engine originated and would have looked nice alongside my Ex V&M Duckhams CBR600.
In the end a 998 engine cam along so the 998 Hybrid was born.
Old 09-May-2005, 10:57
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
I concur with the 150bhp thing from a 955. Amate had a genuine one, sold it for a mv ago!
Old 09-May-2005, 11:24
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by 748mart
Yes you can bore out 916bip cases & can't see why you can't bore 748 cases as I believe they are the same. (later cases may be different).
I don't have any 1st hand knowledge of the 955 but have heard claims of 140 odd bhp. This would involve serious cost & you could probably buy a complete 996sps for less than cost of parts & labour.
Ferracci do a 955 kit inc crank & rods (www.ferracci.com)

Crank and rods

I thought that a 955 conversion on a 916 kept the stroke the same at 66mm, just upped the bore by 2mm from 94 to 96?

Why would you need a different crank and rods unless they were lightened, balanced or titanium (in the rods case) to allow higher rpm?

I thought that you could just go to a bigger bore on SP engines without any further mods but that the lesser spec engines needed to have crankcases machined to clear the larger piston skirts?
Old 09-May-2005, 12:17
Mille

Yes Jools, its the same stroke as 916 but as you suggest the Crank & Rods are higher spec in the Ferracci Kit. The kit will also work on 748, 888, 851 etc still giving you 955. As I suggested in prev post, it's best to start with a 916sp & understand all you need is the pistons, barrels & chip.

If you start with a bip & going to the trouble of boring crankcase & rebuilding bottom end, It makes senses to up grade crank & rods.