Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-May-2005, 16:04
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Timing by the organisers on a track day

Is it a good idea for the organisers to time the participants on track to keep riders of a similar speed in the same group? Also send the fastest within a group out first?

ESS have started doing this.

Do you think its a good idea?

Would you pay a bit more to get a printout at the end of the day to see how you got on?

I'm just interested to know what opinions are on this.

Ray
Old 24-May-2005, 16:06
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

It sounds good in theory, but would people try too hard to beat their mates time? or does that happen already?

I'm more for it, than against, and not daft enough to fall off on a TD, but strange things happen to people on a race track
Old 24-May-2005, 16:45
Big Twin

As a relative newbie to track days I would be nervous if there were riders in the novices who were trying to beat a time. Lap times is not what I am after from a track day, but improving cornering techniques. I found on my 749S that on the straights anyone on a biggish UJM passed me, but then I caught up, out braked and was able to overtake on the corners (in the novices this is of course) only to be passed again on the straights. Anyone with balls can cane it down the straights so being "fast" is not really about laptimes but about technique. JMHO.
Old 24-May-2005, 17:11
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
The that I did worked well. Some of the problems mentioned were avoided by not getting the times until after the day was finished.

The organisers used the times to move people better groups and the order of riders within the group, but the times were emailed out the next day
Old 24-May-2005, 17:17
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Leccysheep,

Was that with ESS?

Ray
Old 24-May-2005, 17:22
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
i think it is a good idea and as you say if you dont get lap times till the day after it stops people going all out ot beat their mates time.

it will stop all the people who like to go in lower groups just to wip other less experienced peoples arses.

its the way forward imho.
Old 24-May-2005, 17:26
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Would the track day organisers re-time people throughout the day? and move you around accordingly.

If for example I am doing a track day at a circuit I know well I will be going fairly quickly in the first session just to bed myself in and build up pace quickly as each session passes. Whereas if I was at an unfamiliar circuit I would be more tentative and build my speed up slowly and progressively throughout the day and probably by mid-afternoon I would probably be within 5-10% of as quick as I could possibly go on subsequent days there.

So this would raise the issue of say me at a track that I haven't been to being timed initially and hopefully by the end of the day being anywhere from 10-15 seconds quicker, others who may have done the circuit before might not progress at all, some may go slower as their stamina goes etc, etc, quite a lot of factors just to group people closer together.

As Henry has said also, some people can only thrash it down the straights, and slow through the corners, and vice versa, so even though the times maybe similar, the actual running order on the track could become infuriating for the riders as they swap and change places over and over which to some is entertaining to others could mean pushing that bit harder and ending up in the kitty liter
Old 24-May-2005, 18:12
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
I can only comment on ESS timed trackdays as they're the only one's I've been on, but I'd say it's definitely a good idea.
Lap times/ rider groups are reviewed after the 1st & 3rd sessions, but I'm also sure you could approach one of their staff to ask to be moved at any time & as long as your lap times meet the criteria you'll be moved.
My experience is that the differences in speeds of riders within the groups is a lot closer, which seems to lead to less accidents throughout the day.
Old 24-May-2005, 18:15
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray
Leccysheep,

Was that with ESS?

Ray

Yes it was at snetterton last october
Old 24-May-2005, 19:42
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Just done ESS pace day today at Silverstone, and i think the timing thing is a real good inclusion.

Its good that they know your time and move you about in the groups if required, but i dont think they should tell you your times until the following day as it is.

I have to say today there was no competativness? among the different groups any more than usual.

Though it was kind of funny when you go out to the "grid" placing in the pit lane. You do get a strange feeling, like im better than you, but worse than you, al la that sketch with the two Ronnies and john cleese.

I liked the way it was sold during the briefing, and the way the day was Policed around the word respect!. Certainly the best i've been on.