Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Jun-2005, 23:11
500SD

Mirrors with Indicators

Anybody using mirrors with integrated indicators?Quite fancy the idea but doesnt seem many available.

Ones in pic not brilliant but you get the idea.Any recommended?
Old 26-Jun-2005, 23:31
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Those are the Stealth Signal kit by Troy Graham that placed individual LEDs into the stock mirrors. It’s no longer offered.

It’s just as well because it was a really bad idea.

LEDs need to placed behind a lens that spreads the light out in order to be seen from a wide enough viewing angle. Without a lens (like the car and bike manufacturers use), the LEDs project light in a very tight directional beam, so in bright daylight it's near impossible for surrounding traffic to see them unless they happen to be alligned with them. View them from another lane beyond 30 degrees from dead center and they're essentially invisible.

It's suicide to change lanes with them.

Here's a better way ...

http://www.cyccon.com
Old 26-Jun-2005, 23:56
500SD

Thanks,thats more like it.
Old 27-Jun-2005, 00:34
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Mmmm...The only problem is the mirrors are as useful as a ham sandwich at a Vegetarian picnic!
I had similar ones on the SS. and you couldn't use the mirrors..I put my old mirrors back on and stuck on some of those bendy Car LED indictors from Halfrauds. I also put them on the side of the fairing. They dont look bad either but not yet got a recent photo of the bike to post.
Old 27-Jun-2005, 13:33
888 at Last !!!

There's got to be a solution to this somewhere ! I know I've chatted with shazzam before about this. The stock mirrors are 100 times better looking than those others posted - personally i'd rather stick with the indicators on the airtubes than have those.

At the Ally Pally this year was a company doing some very nice led stuff. And bright at any angle from along way off. They can do custom stuff - the company name escapes me - but i would love to have pukka leds in the stock mirrors and large carbon race airtubes - and add LEDs to the back as well.
Old 27-Jun-2005, 13:39
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
KB
you sure you didn`t mean that your mirrors were no use.....................to put your make up on!!!!

Ok Ok I`ll get my jacket!
Old 27-Jun-2005, 14:14
500SD

Mirrors that are usable would be a bonus,it would be strange to see more than elbows.The mirrors on 749/999 are the only bits I like.Thinking along the lines of cutting in car side repeaters(one pair of mirrors wrecked).Dont LEDs cause problems with flasher speed etc.Another pic of modification,unfortunately not clear enough to see whats been done
Old 27-Jun-2005, 14:33
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
Here is my take on the subject.

The indicator lenses are Motrax minicators complete with EU numbers. Bulbs mounted inside indicator with wires running through the indicator mounting, an extra hole in the fairing and bullet connectors halfway down the fairing supports.
Old 28-Jun-2005, 20:31
GTL

I'm sure there was a post by Shazaam! on using LEDs in the mirrors ages ago. The message as I recall was - don't!
Old 28-Jun-2005, 21:05
500SD

The mirrors are ok shape wise,almost useless I know,but its the £4.99 bits of plastic called indicators that spoil the best looking bike ever made.I cant find any info on MV mirrors,must be made aftermarket by now,or Id make them fit.Have some carbon airtubes that I dont want to drill to mount them ugly bits of plastic.Ok MV mirrors are useless as well but look good and gets rid of the winkers